Sorry for the long absence. Life's been keeping me busy.
I've got pictures, but the computer with the SD card slot is down for a few days while I replace the screen, so you'll have to settle for a written update.
I actually had to trim the glosso to keep it in check. It's running rampant and spreading to the back of the tank where I don't want it. It actually burrowed under the castle and started growing inside. I used the trimmings to fill in a few holes in the carpet. Give it another month and I don't think I'll be able to see sand.
I can see why ambulia is considered a noxious weed in some places. It's been growing at a rate of 1/2"-3/4" a day. I'll see a little silver frond when I leave for work in the morning and come home to a fully open leaf with another starting above it.
The nesaea has been losing it's terrestrial leaves like crazy, but it's also been growing new aquatic leaves. The aquatic leaves are longer and more slender. I think I like them better. I'm just getting tired of having to skim nesaea leaves of the top of the water.
The rotala and the moneywort don't seem to want to grow much. I'm wondering if they're getting beaten out for nutrients by the faster growing plants.
I've had one setback since I last posted. I've had an outbreak of hair algae on the upper leaves of the telanthera. I've got a few possible reasons:
1. The CO2
line may have pulled out of the powerhead, limiting the distribution for a few days.
2. The cylinder is getting empty, so I'm questioning the quality of the gas.
3. I wasn't adding enough CO2
4. I haven't tuned my ferts well enough yet and I've got excess phosphate.
5. My little HOB
filter is off-gassing too much CO2
I haven't built a drop checker yet, but the fish aren't gasping at the top yet, so I upped the CO2
rate to 2-3 BPS and made sure the CO2
is getting into the powerhead stream. My tank has been consistent at 5ppm nitrate and 2ppm phosphate, even with a heavy fish load. I've been working on a fert calculator, but I still need to add a little bit to the file before it's finished. In the meantime, I've got some phosphate remover that I might try.