Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, that's true!!! I would say you're fine for cooling, if it's cool to the touch you have nothing to worry about. The human pain threshold is something like 148F and the maximum operating junction temp of most LEDs is 150 Celsius, which is what the useful life (L70) is based on. Your build is a perfect example of why you don't need mega heat sinks and tons of fans.

I just posted that for anyone interested...

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ill have to try pps pro. It looks complicated but I guess I just need to bite the bullet.

Filling my tank to the brim might not work well since I have a marineland biowheel and they can get loud if the water level is too low or high. But ill experiment.

I actually got the r2 for the same price at q5 so it wasn't that bad. But if that wasn't the case then I wouldn't have bought them. They are much more expensive with just a little gain.

I haven't gotten any hair algae on my anacharis yet but ill keep an eye on it. I knew the java fern was going to die with the high light but I thought id try sticking it in a shaded part of the aquarium to see how it does. You have any ideas on what other plants I can add? The baby tears will eventually cover thetop of the wood but its taking its time.

The gouramis I have are quite peaceful or so I've read. They get along very well so far bit as they get older that might change. The cae was a mistake but im fond of him so im not getting rid of him. But he isn't very mean to the others. That's because I hit him with "the white stick of death." So, every time I see him being mean to the others I will chase him with the stick. He bas gotten to the point that when he does someting bad and he sees me approach the tank he will dart behind something and hide. He is quite smart. And the size thing doesn't bother me too much. He is about 4 years old and has only got to 2.5 inches. Its looking like he will stay a runt for the rest of his life.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for the long absence. Life's been keeping me busy.

I've got pictures, but the computer with the SD card slot is down for a few days while I replace the screen, so you'll have to settle for a written update.

I actually had to trim the glosso to keep it in check. It's running rampant and spreading to the back of the tank where I don't want it. It actually burrowed under the castle and started growing inside. I used the trimmings to fill in a few holes in the carpet. Give it another month and I don't think I'll be able to see sand.

I can see why ambulia is considered a noxious weed in some places. It's been growing at a rate of 1/2"-3/4" a day. I'll see a little silver frond when I leave for work in the morning and come home to a fully open leaf with another starting above it.

The nesaea has been losing it's terrestrial leaves like crazy, but it's also been growing new aquatic leaves. The aquatic leaves are longer and more slender. I think I like them better. I'm just getting tired of having to skim nesaea leaves of the top of the water.

The rotala and the moneywort don't seem to want to grow much. I'm wondering if they're getting beaten out for nutrients by the faster growing plants.

I've had one setback since I last posted. I've had an outbreak of hair algae on the upper leaves of the telanthera. I've got a few possible reasons:

1. The CO2 line may have pulled out of the powerhead, limiting the distribution for a few days.
2. The cylinder is getting empty, so I'm questioning the quality of the gas.
3. I wasn't adding enough CO2.
4. I haven't tuned my ferts well enough yet and I've got excess phosphate.
5. My little HOB filter is off-gassing too much CO2.

I haven't built a drop checker yet, but the fish aren't gasping at the top yet, so I upped the CO2 rate to 2-3 BPS and made sure the CO2 is getting into the powerhead stream. My tank has been consistent at 5ppm nitrate and 2ppm phosphate, even with a heavy fish load. I've been working on a fert calculator, but I still need to add a little bit to the file before it's finished. In the meantime, I've got some phosphate remover that I might try.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #74
AA Team Emeritus

Do you have a kh and ph test kit? You could get a rough idea of how much CO2 you have by measuring those two. IME, I've found hair algae creeps up when your micros are in excess. I think that was the case for rookie too. It could be caused by other things but it seems excess micros is always the culprit in high tech tanks.

I've modified my AC50 slightly by using silicone to attach a piece of plastic under the outflow. This allows that water to flow down into the tank, creating far less surface agitation/off gassing.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #75
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah, Steve, once I got my PPS Pro autodosers set up, the hair algae has slowly started to retreat. It was definitely too much of something I was dosing.

Jim, FWIW, my co2 was empty Sunday morning. I had to get it refilled yesterday. Not sure if I had a leak or if it was just from running 2 tanks. I leak tested it yesterday and found nothing though.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to know guys. I'll try cutting back on the micros a smidge and see what happens. My goal this week is to build a drop checker to eliminate the guesswork with the CO2.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #77
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

A very good idea! I wouldn't have the patience to test all the time.. its so easy just looking at the drop checker.

On a side note... I know this isn't a classifieds ad... but if you ever need to offload some ambulia, hit me up. I've looked everywhere for some.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow from the picture of the tank with the guppies is gorgeous..they are pretty even from that far away ...
Old 04-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you giggalz. My wife decided she wanted blue guppies about a year and a half ago. We started with four and I have to unload some on Craigslist every month or so to keep the tanks liveable. These are just the extras from my 20L.

Tank update: The plants seem to be enjoying more CO2. The ambulia is growing even faster and I saw some pea-sized oxygen bubbles roll off the leaves of the glosso. I cut my micro fert dose from 2mL to 1.5mL today. I'll try it for a week or so and see if the hair algae recedes.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been cutting back on the micro fert dosing and I think the hair algae is getting worse. I'm going to try it for a few more days and see what happens.

Water parameters:
pH: 6.8
PO4: 2-2.5ppm
NO3: 5ppm
KH: 6dKH
GH: 10dKH

According to a pH-KH table, I'm running about 28ppm CO2, so I'm at the high end of the good range.

I finally got around to fixing the computer and taking some new pictures.

The tank is getting pretty bushy.

The ambulia has reached the top of the tank. I'll probably cut it and plant the tops at next PWC.

I keep pulling the algae covered leaves off the telanthera, but it's still pretty thick.

The new aquatic leaves on the nesaea are growing densely.

The glosso is growing like a weed.

Here's an interesting shot. The glosso is growing right up against the glass and you can see the roots. The sand is about 1.5" deep from the surface to the tank frame and the roots go all the way down and keep going.

And lastly, a shot of the dastardly hair algae.

Tags
fixture, led, plant, planted, planted tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com