HOB filter into overflow box?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
is it possable to turn a HOB filter into an overflow box by drilling a hole in the bottom and then putting pvc or tubing in it then syliconeing around it. the filter would suck water in and it would flow down to my sump and then get pumped back up.

If you can do it in a way to keep the hob filter filled enough to cover the motor I dont see why it wouldnt work...

I was going to use PVC like an overflow and have it fill up about 2 inches over. Should I use this old Walmart filter 5-15 galls on a 30 gall or bigger?

a few more paticulars may be needed, like what size tank, what size sump,but flow rate on return pump may be the most vital piece of info you can give

so after thinking on it a little more, I gonna say it's probably not a good idea for this reason, an overflow is designed to only draw down water as fast as the return pump can supply. but with the set up your looking to do you would be more or less force feeding water to the sump and if the water incoming to the sump out paces the return pump you'll flood, and if you put an inline valve on the overflow line to try and balance things not only would it be very difficult to fine tune into a balanced flow but any small change in flow like debris on the hob's intake and your sump could start running low on water which can lead to a damaged return pump, I guess in short I'm saying if it could effectively be done that way there would most likely already be a product like it on the market or you would have heard of someone else having done it, IMO

Im getting a 30 gallon bow front and 10 gallon sump also I have the PVC to make an overflow but I hear they aren't to fail proof in going to use a 400 gph pump but should I use the overflow

overflows are fine you just have to be carefull to establish min and max levels in your sump, the min would be the level just before your return pump starts sucking in air, the max is a little more complicated to figure out but not by much, once you get the water flowing through the system at just a little above the min level in the sump put a mark on the glass and shut off the pump and let the water siphon down from the tank, if you have the overflow set properly the water should only come down until the siphon stops(you should also put some sort of siphon break on the return line to keep water from back siphoning into the sump) once the water stops filling into the sump measure the amount that the water rose from the min mark placed on the glass, for example we'll say the water rose 3", now you know if the power or pump fails just how much the water will rise, now add a comfortable amount of leway to that say 2" and measure down from the top of the sump and that will give you the max level for the sump, as long as you keep the water level in between the min and maxhave a siphon break on the return and the overflow is adjusted say @ 1/4 below where you want you water suface to be everything should be fine, now I know I've rambled on to long, so I hope this helps you

Yea now I'm just going to use an overflow its not the safe way but I can't drill or buy an overflow box

This is my tank now

Attachments

• image-2909779300.jpg
    image-2909779300.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 202
Back
Top Bottom