Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
HORNET1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 27
HOB Supercharged Water Polisher

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA1MlgxMD...UIMJW/$_35.JPG

I came up with an idea that works and i thought I would share it with the rest of you. I've noticed that several online suppliers are selling sponge filters that attach to the intake tube of the HOB filters. Most of them are simply a round sponge with a hole in the center for attaching to the intake and there a very few suppliers that sell them with the hole only on one end (which is better).

I came up with the idea of getting a small sponge paint roller from Lowe's or Home Depot. These little rollers are closed on one end, as you probably know. (see link above)

I carefully removed the sponge from the center roller hub (this takes patience).
After that I rinsed the sponge well in cycled aquarium water and installed it on the intake tube of my HOB.

Within minutes, I could already see the improvement in the water clarity.

NOTE: I recommend that you get the rollers at one of the big box stores like Lowe's or H.D. rather than the Dollar Store because they are better made and will not fall to pieces when you remove the sponge from the center hub.

TRY IT...IT WORKS !!!
__________________

HORNET1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET1 View Post
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA1MlgxMD...UIMJW/$_35.JPG

I came up with an idea that works and i thought I would share it with the rest of you. I've noticed that several online suppliers are selling sponge filters that attach to the intake tube of the HOB filters. Most of them are simply a round sponge with a hole in the center for attaching to the intake and there a very few suppliers that sell them with the hole only on one end (which is better).

I came up with the idea of getting a small sponge paint roller from Lowe's or Home Depot. These little rollers are closed on one end, as you probably know. (see link above)

I carefully removed the sponge from the center roller hub (this takes patience).
After that I rinsed the sponge well in cycled aquarium water and installed it on the intake tube of my HOB.

Within minutes, I could already see the improvement in the water clarity.

NOTE: I recommend that you get the rollers at one of the big box stores like Lowe's or H.D. rather than the Dollar Store because they are better made and will not fall to pieces when you remove the sponge from the center hub.

TRY IT...IT WORKS !!!
Very interesting, I like it. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over a month or so. Keep us updated!
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
HORNET1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Very interesting, I like it. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over a month or so. Keep us updated!
I've had it installed for a little over a week and it's working just great. Water is crystal clear. Since installing the roller sponge on the intake, I have removed all the mechanical filtration from my HOB and refilled the entire canister with bio-cubes. I will keep you updated
HORNET1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
HORNET1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 27
UPDATE:

Just a note to let you know that I am thrilled with the results of this simple little DIY project. The water remains crystal clear and the sponge filter is picking up far more debri than any HOB filter method I have ever used. I actually rinse the foam every other day,which is no problem for me. I wouldn't have to do it, but I'm so amazed by the amount of stuff this thing collects that I just like to clean it and observe how quickly it collects the waste.
HORNET1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,341
As long as you like cleaning it its going to need attention a few days a week
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
HORNET1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
As long as you like cleaning it its going to need attention a few days a week
I don't mind it whatsoever.
For clean water and healthy fish, a 5 minute rinse is a small price to pay, IMO
HORNET1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
HORNET1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 27
Two weeks and this DIY Project is exceeding all expectations...
Crystal Clear Water.
HORNET1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
smallfry53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grafton, Ohio
Posts: 280
I've used these for years on my aquaclear filters. I just rinse it out with tank water before doing a pwc. The trick is doing it before turning the filter off. I take a plastic cup and put around the filter, then pull it off. That way 90%+ of the debris stays on the filter/in the cup. If you just pull it off without the cup around it a lot of the debris will get washed off/out while pulling the filter out.
__________________
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
smallfry53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
nirbhao's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Michigan, Metro Detroit
Posts: 2,827
Those paint roller sponges are so fine that they are doing some serious mechanical filtration. Plus they're cheap enough to replace if cleaning gets to be too much of a chore.

I had the Fluval kind, and they would get so clogged up they would stop the filter. It would only take a couple of days. Maddening.
__________________
I'm probably on my phone.

http://injaf.org/
http://www.instagram.com/thedelicion
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
HORNET1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 27
Like you, I have used the Fluval as well as other off-the-shelf pre-filters. While they certainly help with water clarity, they don't come anywhere close to matching the filtration of the paint roller sponge, IMO.
__________________

HORNET1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, hob, perch, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« DIY Betta Food | - »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water polisher? erikmoseley Cichlid Discussion 24 02-06-2013 06:01 PM
glass polisher? saltyfishy Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 04-12-2011 02:46 PM
Need Advice... HOB Skimmer and HOB Filter ferchoz Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 07-15-2009 04:35 PM
Switching from HOB to canister. time before I can remove HOB turbovr6 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 05-27-2007 03:29 PM
HOB Skimmer vs HOB Refugium w/skimmer DaveBeaty General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 0 02-06-2005 02:23 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.