HOB Supercharged Water Polisher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HORNET1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA1MlgxMDc2/z/5NgAAOSw7NNUIMJW/$_35.JPG

I came up with an idea that works and i thought I would share it with the rest of you. I've noticed that several online suppliers are selling sponge filters that attach to the intake tube of the HOB filters. Most of them are simply a round sponge with a hole in the center for attaching to the intake and there a very few suppliers that sell them with the hole only on one end (which is better).

I came up with the idea of getting a small sponge paint roller from Lowe's or Home Depot. These little rollers are closed on one end, as you probably know. (see link above)

I carefully removed the sponge from the center roller hub (this takes patience).
After that I rinsed the sponge well in cycled aquarium water and installed it on the intake tube of my HOB.

Within minutes, I could already see the improvement in the water clarity.

NOTE: I recommend that you get the rollers at one of the big box stores like Lowe's or H.D. rather than the Dollar Store because they are better made and will not fall to pieces when you remove the sponge from the center hub.

TRY IT...IT WORKS !!!

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA1MlgxMDc2/z/5NgAAOSw7NNUIMJW/$_35.JPG

I came up with an idea that works and i thought I would share it with the rest of you. I've noticed that several online suppliers are selling sponge filters that attach to the intake tube of the HOB filters. Most of them are simply a round sponge with a hole in the center for attaching to the intake and there a very few suppliers that sell them with the hole only on one end (which is better).

I came up with the idea of getting a small sponge paint roller from Lowe's or Home Depot. These little rollers are closed on one end, as you probably know. (see link above)

I carefully removed the sponge from the center roller hub (this takes patience).
After that I rinsed the sponge well in cycled aquarium water and installed it on the intake tube of my HOB.

Within minutes, I could already see the improvement in the water clarity.

NOTE: I recommend that you get the rollers at one of the big box stores like Lowe's or H.D. rather than the Dollar Store because they are better made and will not fall to pieces when you remove the sponge from the center hub.

TRY IT...IT WORKS !!!

Very interesting, I like it. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over a month or so. Keep us updated!

Very interesting, I like it. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over a month or so. Keep us updated!
I've had it installed for a little over a week and it's working just great. Water is crystal clear. Since installing the roller sponge on the intake, I have removed all the mechanical filtration from my HOB and refilled the entire canister with bio-cubes. I will keep you updated :fish2:

UPDATE:

Just a note to let you know that I am thrilled with the results of this simple little DIY project. The water remains crystal clear and the sponge filter is picking up far more debri than any HOB filter method I have ever used. I actually rinse the foam every other day,which is no problem for me. I wouldn't have to do it, but I'm so amazed by the amount of stuff this thing collects that I just like to clean it and observe how quickly it collects the waste. :):):):):)

As long as you like cleaning it;) its going to need attention a few days a week

Two weeks and this DIY Project is exceeding all expectations...
Crystal Clear Water.

I've used these for years on my aquaclear filters. I just rinse it out with tank water before doing a pwc. The trick is doing it before turning the filter off. I take a plastic cup and put around the filter, then pull it off. That way 90%+ of the debris stays on the filter/in the cup. If you just pull it off without the cup around it a lot of the debris will get washed off/out while pulling the filter out.
510fIHLj7xL._SY355_.jpg

Those paint roller sponges are so fine that they are doing some serious mechanical filtration. Plus they're cheap enough to replace if cleaning gets to be too much of a chore.

I had the Fluval kind, and they would get so clogged up they would stop the filter. It would only take a couple of days. Maddening.

Like you, I have used the Fluval as well as other off-the-shelf pre-filters. While they certainly help with water clarity, they don't come anywhere close to matching the filtration of the paint roller sponge, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom