Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Home Depot Shop Lights info

I recently got a 75 gallon and decided to try a shop light from Home Depot,
I went down and they had some low end ones for 7 bucks with electronic ballast and a intermediate one for 16 bucks, the 16 dollar one actually has a metal cage on the bottom and fit perfectly on the 75(just looks ugly) with no modification, the grate kept it off the class top slightly.

I checked out the ballast and it was the same as the cheap 7 buck one. I purchased two phillips sunshine t8 bulbs (5000K) and they were really bright and made the tank look great. Now here is the deal, these cheap shop lights had a slight buzzing from them, but you had to be withing a foot or so to hear it. I bought the shop light as a tempory setup until my triple tube strip light arrived from Big Als(the shop light is now in my garage over the work bench

Anyway, I got the All-Glass strip light and it looks great, but I can honestly tell you internally it is pretty much the same as the shop light, it makes the same slight buzzing and the output from the exact same bulbs I had in the shop light is exactly the same, the cheap shop light had no problem driving the bulbs.

The point I am getting at is the shop lights from home depot can be a good choice if you want to take the time to slightly modify them so they look good. If I was to keep it I would have painted it black and removed the pull chain switch with a rocker type or push button one. Also some end caps would need to be made, or you could just pull the guts out and put them in a wood canopy/hood or even a section of rain gutter with end caps.

I really think that the shop light with the sunshine bulbs (5000k) would be able to grow some plants without problems, it was really bright.

snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
they would have strained to be enough light for low light needs plants.. over a 55 gallon it would have done fine for the same purpose.. Overdriving the individual bulbs would have made it more use for planted tanks.. a set of 2 of them with the approprate ballasts (4 4-F32T8) are used over some peoples reef tanks or the equivilent in a canopy..

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Yep, but the major point is that the strip lights from All-Glass are basicly the same as the cheapo shop lights

I have 3 of the 5 dollar natural sunshine bulbs in my strip light now and it is super bright, but it is not substantially brighter than the twin tube shop light was.

snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com