Home depot t5 lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have info on these 2foot t5 fixtures that they sell at home depot. How can I tell if it's normal output or high output?

Check the bulbs and/or the package. They both should be marked to indicate if they are high output. If they are not marked such, they are not high output. I doubt that they are, but haven't looked myself. Certainly they would require different bulbs for use over an aquarium.

Odds are they are not HO. The t5s sold at HD do not have individual reflectors. I haven't been to a HD yet that sells HO t5 bulbs. Maybe it's just a California thing, but i'm not sure.

The HO T5s are definitely an upgrade to cfl bulbs and\or T8s. Make sure to get a t5 HO fixture with individual reflectors. That's what makes them so powerful.

That I know, but what about NORMAL output t5s in comparison to cfl and t8s

not sure for FW, but for SW normal t5s, cfl, and t8s won't cut it in terms of growing much. If anything, you would use those lights for a fowlr in which case any light will do. If you're doing corals, T5 HO, MH, and LEDs are the way to go.

I only ask because at my local home spot there is a two bulb, two foot t5 fixture for around twenty dollars.

I just attempted the same thing and found no HO fixtures at HD. I ended up buying more t8 but I wish i had just ordered the ho fixture instead. If its 20$ it too good to be true.

I still wanna know if the normal output t5 fixtures would provide better lighting than a t8

Ah it does help. I want a medium light tank so a two bulb fixture of t5 normal output would work for my situation.

That graph that was linked is from plantedtank and it assumes that you are using good quality fixtures/bulbs with good reflectors, just something to keep in mind. For the most part, the big box store type fixtures are not emphasizing performance at all.

We have the HD T5NO lights mounted in our racks. They are great for lower light plants (mossses, ferns, anubias, some crypts and swords, etc), but won't grow much more.

That graph that was linked is from plantedtank and it assumes that you are using good quality fixtures/bulbs with good reflectors, just something to keep in mind. For the most part, the big box store type fixtures are not emphasizing performance at all.

true and it will also depends on the fixture too!!!

We have the HD T5NO lights mounted in our racks. They are great for lower light plants (mossses, ferns, anubias, some crypts and swords, etc), but won't grow much more.

oh ok i was wondering that too!!

yeah, i would have to take issue with the pc part of that graph, I know my power compact lights at 24" are way brighter than anything else we have here (normal t5, spiral fluorescent and led) at the same depth.
When I first started I was worried as the wattage was below the watt per gallon (bad rule I know), but these have proven to be almost too much light (2X96w PC @10K) over a 125 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom