Home-made aquarium lids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kupcake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gal and a 20 long that didnt come with lids or lights. The hoods at walmart are really expensive so im trying to find a temperary solution untill we can afford it.

(well the 10gal with the snails and frogs has a larg hood that hangs over all the sides, i have no idea what size tank it went to, but it keeps them in)

Has anyone tried to make some sort of canvas top? How did you fasten it? Did you use wood or someother material for the edges?

Sorry if this has been answered before, i tried to do a search, but didnt really find exact answers and im kinda a :n00b:!

Here is a link about using eggcrate for hoods:
Where to find black eggcrate for a coral reef aquarium

I haven't used it but I understand that it's popular among SW tank owners. A closed top can sometimes cause pH problems, but some type of covering is needed to prevent fish from jumping out.

It sounds like you have freshwater tanks. You could still use this as a tank cover until you're ready to buy a hood. I don't know if you can set a light fixture on this eggcrate like you could a hinged glass top.

I have hinged glass tops on my tanks. The 10 gallon glass top wasn't expensive. A 20 long top may be expensive.

Take a look at this site for hoods and glass tops:

Discount Aquarium Supplies, Tropical Fish Supplies and Fish Tank Supplies from Foster & Smith

Back
Top Bottom