Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Superglue will work even better than silicon as it's almost instant when building, no waiting for it to set as you build.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

But that might not be good for the fish. I would go with silicone(aquarium safe of course!).

Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasidelover102 View Post
But that might not be good for the fish. I would go with silicone(aquarium safe of course!).
Actually I think you'll find that it is safer than silicone, which should be completely cured before it is considered safe. It's been used for years for plant attachment to rocks and wood, for example.

It's even used now in surgery to hold skin tissue together as opposed to stitches or staples, and is approved in that mode by the FDA.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
Actually I think you'll find that it is safer than silicone, which should be completely cured before it is considered safe. It's been used for years for plant attachment to rocks and wood, for example.

It's even used now in surgery to hold skin tissue together as opposed to stitches or staples, and is approved in that mode by the FDA.
I use it to repair myslef on the fly, no better way to re attached a torn finger nail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-10-2014, 01:08 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I use it to repair myslef on the fly, no better way to re attached a torn finger nail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If not superglue then a little bit of ducktape has always fixed me up. 😉
Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had a cave built out of lego in my cory tank, lego is fine to use it is aquarium safe, just leave a few holes so water can pass through it, I wiped mine down and scrubbed inside lego that's on show every few weeks, i soaked the cave in fish water prior to going in, just to be sure

You will have to weight it down I had some glass ice cubes that I placed on top you could use stones.

I really like lego in tanks the possibilitys are endless,

I have black beards pirate ship made of lego that I'm planning on putting in a tank

Sent from fish phone
Old 11-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I case anyone is still doubting the super glue ...

Today I saw seachem "plant and moss glue" at the LFS. It's cyanoacrylate ... Aka Super glue in a fancier tube for twice the price. It had some interesting suggestions, including gluing moss to gravel.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:08 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd avoid Legos because things made in some other countries contain materials that would not be allowed in US manufacturing. Remember the taninted dog food from China???

I'd suggest visiting the hardware store and buying some plastic pvc pipe. You can cut it in section (tunnels) or cut it lengthwise for more open tunnels. If visual appeal is an issue you can be lazy like me and stash it behind driftwood, rocks, plants or just toss the thing in and move on. To make it really nice looking, get a tube of pure silicon caulk from Home Depot, some aquariun gravel and, or sand. Cut the pipe into what ever sections you want or need. Then cover the pipe with silicon and roll it through the gavel or sand. If you use gravel, have some sand handy and once pipe is gravel coated dust the pipe with sand to make sure it is all covered. Decide where you want the hides and push the pipe sections into the substrate so they look like caves. I also use pvc 3" - 4" round slotted drain covers so that shrimp can get away from fish and eachother when they molt. These also work good for baby shrimp especially if you put a dried Oak leaf inside to promote microorganism growth.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningc View Post
I'd avoid Legos because things made in some other countries contain materials that would not be allowed in US manufacturing. Remember the taninted dog food from China???

I'd suggest visiting the hardware store and buying some plastic pvc pipe. You can cut it in section (tunnels) or cut it lengthwise for more open tunnels. If visual appeal is an issue you can be lazy like me and stash it behind driftwood, rocks, plants or just toss the thing in and move on. To make it really nice looking, get a tube of pure silicon caulk from Home Depot, some aquariun gravel and, or sand. Cut the pipe into what ever sections you want or need. Then cover the pipe with silicon and roll it through the gavel or sand. If you use gravel, have some sand handy and once pipe is gravel coated dust the pipe with sand to make sure it is all covered. Decide where you want the hides and push the pipe sections into the substrate so they look like caves. I also use pvc 3" - 4" round slotted drain covers so that shrimp can get away from fish and eachother when they molt. These also work good for baby shrimp especially if you put a dried Oak leaf inside to promote microorganism growth.

True Legos are made in Europe and products made from children are tested far more thoroughly than just about anything on the market.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lego is aquarium safe, toxic free, I have had it in my tanks for ages, don't forget how many children put lego in there mouth it's been made safe fe that reason, also if you look at lego land they have a huge fish tank full of fish and lego,

I am also sure (from looking myself) that somewhere on the lego site it actually says

Sent from fish phone

Tags
cave, caves, hiding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com