Home made caves and hiding places

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel1970

Aquarium Advice Activist
Call me crazy, but I am seriously thinking about making some caves and hiding spots out of legos. There is a ton of legos on ebay for sale. Has anyone tried this? If so does it work, and how did you do it?

I've seen a Lego themed tank before. I'm pretty sure there's some type of sealant for them and you should be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've seen a Lego themed tank before. I'm pretty sure there's some type of sealant for them and you should be fine.

why do you need sealant?

I read it on here before I'm pretty sure. Anything plastic it's good to use. I think it'd be fine though as long as the Legos are clean

I'd worry a tiny bit about stuff leaking in and growing, and about them floating, so yeah - I'd boil them, let them dry fully, build, slather on some aquarium sealant, squeegee it off so it just stays in the cracks, then silicone it down so it won't float.

Yeah you would either need to seal or clean each individual lego every couple months. However, when you did that, you could build something new! But I'm the creative type...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was about to say....

Punctuation matters, children!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm hoping to someday build a replica of Manhattan using Lego in a 125 gallon long tank. I just don't know how to light the little buildings from inside.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, I seen on the net , that peaple were using styrofoam to make rocks and back rounds in freshwater tanks . When the the fake rock is carved and made it is then covered in grout , I never have tried this but it looks realy nice. The reason I say this , is you can have it hallow for swim threw's and lil windows for the lights to shine threw .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would be concerned with water flow. Water trapped quickly becomes stagnant. If it's inside the blocks then I would worry about the water turning bad and if you have a walled in area be sure to put in something to force water to move. If you use them I would be sure they are sealed up well and install power heads strategically to keep the water moving.

I have Legos in mine that where a display at toysrus and my water and fish are perfect. And I did nothing to them befor except rinse them off. I used fishing line and decorations to anchor them so they look like there free floating. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408989062.279192.jpg

Very nice tank. Great idea.

I would think there would be a floating issue. If you assemble the bricks outside the tank, would you not catch a little air in each brick? Though I can't see Lego being air tight so ... Maybe you would need to let the air out by putting the structure in upside down first. Let the air bleed out. Or am I over thinking this lol.

Back
Top Bottom