home made rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I enjoy sculpting rock out of concrete and I understand these can be used in my aquarium once the lime leaching out of the cement is sufficiently reduced. Bathing the rock for 6 to 8 weeks is impractical for me so I am thinking about using a concrete sealer.

Has anyone ever tried this? And if so, can you recommend a product?

Thanks!

Sorry I don't have a sealer to recommend, but I would be as concerned about the sealer being harmful as I would be about the lime in the cement. Just be sure to consider that when choosing.

Is there a particular reason curing the cement isn't feasible for you? Perhaps we could help with that if we can't find a sealer for you.

I suppose I could use my spare bathroom to cure the rock - but I'd rather have the whole operation outside and that's not an option for me becuase I live in a condo. Maybe everybody does this in the spare bathroom - I don't know... I'm probably just being impatient.

As for the sealer - I 've seen several products on the internet designed for the purpose of stopping the lime leaching from cement used to build outdoor fish ponds.

Got a spare closet? You could pick up a rubbermaid garbage can, stick it in the closet with the rock and use buckets to fill it with water. Personaly, even if I used a sealer I think I would still want to cure the rocks in some water for a while to be sure there wasn't anything lingering or spots missed. JMO

Back
Top Bottom