homemade canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what I am actually thinking is doing 3-4" Pipes each with there own media(Polly fill, carbon, ceramic) and a smaller 4"(maybe) to house the pump, making all pipes about12-16" long, if I decide to use a pump that doesn't need submersed, then I can do away with the 4th pump, do you think the 3/4" PVC needs up sized? I believe doing 3 sections would work as well as making it out of a larger diameter PVC....

looking at an inline pond pump that move 580GPH and has a lift of 83"
this should be good, right(not an expert here)

y not a sump? its pretty much the same thing ... a DIY sump n a DIY canister.

the guy in the link seem to be using some high tech hardware tooling ...

y not a sump? its pretty much the same thing ... a DIY sump n a DIY canister.

the guy in the link seem to be using some high tech hardware tooling ...

you mean a sump pump?? or a sump like used in saltwater? I am freshwater. The guy in link didn't really use any high tech tooling, just did everything by hand instead of using drill bits to make the holes.

I have decided on a quiet one 3000 pump, has rating of 600GPH at 4' height, with 1"inlet/outler that should be plenty, might even be able to take it down to 3/4" on the outlet side, to make sure the "filters" never run out of water? Do you think that will be an issue? or could I go 3/4 all the way, or stay with 1"

Sumps can be used in FW too.

I'd up the size of the pump. You'll end up with much more than 4' of head if you're running several feet of pipe stuffed with media. I'd also consider upping the pipe diameter to 6". The filter in the link will flow a max of 175gph and is designed for a smaller tank.

the filter in the link is different then what I am doing, I am going to use 3 pieces of pvc each separated and connected with 1" pipe, each filled with it's own media, so in a sense I will have 12-16" of each type of media, in it's own pipe, should be good that way, the contact time with the media will be higher this way, than up sizing the pipe.

here is a realy rough drawing.
4" pvc is about 12" long, and has caps on bottom and threaded caps on top.
img_1163641_0_1963b1877bfbae0c555ba06557476bc8.jpg

yea, i suppose, only for an aquarium and not drinkable water.

Filter media really isn't any different: Filters: 5 micron spun poly, high holding depth sediment filter, 1 micron carbon block filter, 5 micron coconut shell granular activated carbon filter.

Only thing your design has is more flow?

Filter media really isn't any different: Filters: 5 micron spun poly, high holding depth sediment filter, 1 micron carbon block filter, 5 micron coconut shell granular activated carbon filter.

Only thing your design has is more flow?

which is the important thing, the system you shown has no pump, cost $169(pump is another $80) and has inlet/out of 3/4" which is almost impossible to do any aquarium that is over 30 gallons, the pump would run dry with only 3/4" fill and 3/4" return. Mine will cost total of $100 and with 1"-1 1/2" fill and 1" return will easily do my 75 gallon, and leaves room for a pump and/or tank upgrade in the future.

Only thing i would change would to add end caps and have your water in and outs on the ends, then you won't have the 90* turn IN the filter, but outside of it. I think that over time would mess up the media. To build it wouldnt even cost that much. Your pump is going to be the most expensive thing there. I say have some fun and see what happens. Look on craigslist for a pond pump or something, you can still adjust the flow with a ball valve as well if its too much right?

if I put the in/out on the ends, i couldn't stand it up, so I believe the 2 elbows won't hurt so much especially if i use a bigger pump, Leaning towards a quiet one 4000(1000+ GPH at 6' lift)
I have decided to get rid of the elbows in between like new pic shows:
img_1163955_0_6c1b6f9d9131053a2cc812ba25c36498.jpg

ah yeah that would make more sense. How are you going to mount it? If its on a wall, then you could do the in/out on the ends...

I have some PVC Brackets that we use to hold the PVC vertically on a wall, I will put them in my stand against the backk of it, and use them to hold it up, but they will be "standing" on the bottom so in/out on top/bottom, wouldn't work.
I am currently searching our supply book for some type of PVC holder/bracket, that would allow me to do what you suggested, it is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom