Homemade Canister Filter Questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeWidd

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my basement I found a surprise. I have what would be the equivalent of a 3 canister water filtration system. Pre Carbon and Post. Would I be able to make a canister filter out of this. 1 1/2 pvc fits perfectly where the old inserts were. The only problem I think will be is the input seems rather small, maybe 5/8 or so.

Would I burn up a water pump trying to force water through this and how would I figure my gallon per hour.

Kinda excited to make this work any advice is appreciated.

Could you post some pics of the unit? That might help determine what it is your are trying to do.

Canister filters run on very small impeller pumps and effectively use gravity to move a great deal of the water. I don't think you would burn up a small pump by running it through 5/8" ID tubing.

This is the main part of it.
60006-albums9303-picture36622.jpg
[/IMG]

It was part of the house filtration system that is no longer in use. Can it be used as a canister filter or not?

Well it could. It would take a lot of modification and wouldn't be very practical. If you want to DIY a canister filter you would be better off starting with a large Tupperware container or something similar.

Ok...What I was thinking is. As you can see in the third pic 1 1/2 pvc fits it perfectly. Water would come in the at the top on the side of the pipe, then get sucked back up the pipe.Travel through all three canisters and return back to the tank.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't think I would have to change much at all. The tubes in the pic are empty as of right now.

If nothing else I was hoping to use it to at least seed some media, as I plan on having 3 large tanks running.

Ok. You don't want to use the water filtration filters that fit it but if you just run wearer through it and add some media to the canisters it would work fine.

No..... They are in the trash. At the bottom of the pipe should I leave it open. Or should I cap it and drill holes about halfway up the pipe.

Back
Top Bottom