homemade chiller....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seranko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys,

I was thinking in this homemade chiller to install in my new reef tank. This acrylic column is to be install in between the overflow and the sump, is 39 inches long and 4 inches each side. Do you think is going to work ???? By the way, I know is probably a stupid idea

Thanks,

Seranko

NO no stupid at all. I like the way you are thinking and I always encourage such cretive DIYs. I don't think it'll work very well, but still kudos to you for thinking. There are ways to DIY such devices. I think this one in particular will drop the water running through a degree or two but cause a lot of evap and another piece of aquaria to clean. Let's start with: How big is your system and how much of a drop are you looking for?

R-

Cool idea but most is not all the cooling effect would be attributed to evaporation, no?

I tried the bar fridge idea but it didn't even lower the temperature 1 degree in my 36 reef. I think the compressors just can't handle the load. I guess that's why you're supposed to keep those suckers closed

the trick to getting a bar fridge or the like to work as a chiller, is that you have to use a cooling bath for the coil of tubing. Put a big plastic jug in the refridgerator and coil up your tubing in that, then fill it with water (perhaps vegetable oil would be more efficient?)

let that get cold first. Then turn on your "chiller" pump. Just setting a coil of tubing in the bar fridge won't do much to chill the water as it passes through the coils.

BillyZ said:
the trick to getting a bar fridge or the like to work as a chiller, is that you have to use a cooling bath for the coil of tubing. Put a big plastic jug in the refridgerator and coil up your tubing in that, then fill it with water (perhaps vegetable oil would be more efficient?)

Good idea.

Just setting a coil of tubing in the bar fridge won't do much to chill the water as it passes through the coils.

Actually, it would, given enough coils (I am thinking 50+M of 4mm tubing)and a decently cold fridge/freezer.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers guys. Just for fun, I did a small acrylic column with just one fan and it was running for 3 days until this morning.

Results : Humidity all around the fan and spilled water thru the ventilations holes. 8O

Conclusions : buy a chiller.

Thanks, again

Serankop

I realize this is a old post.. and im not a SW guy but Ive thought about the expensive chiller problem in the hobby and was wondering if anyone had tried a coil in the sump.. flexible copper or something home grown could be used.. and a radiator with a fan with the water circulated with a pump.

I was perusing thru this one this am, and thought about using parts from a drinking fountain. I actually got lucky and had one given to me and thought about doing some creative plumbing to give it a shot.

BillyZ said:
Put a big plastic jug in the refridgerator and coil up your tubing in that, then fill it with water (perhaps vegetable oil would be more efficient?)

Yes I'd use a liquid that freezes much lower than 32F. Oil, anti-freeze, heck even saturated saltwater. Those little fridges have a tendancy to easily freeze, due to cheap-o thermostats.

greenmagi said:
I realize this is a old post.. and im not a SW guy but Ive thought about the expensive chiller problem in the hobby and was wondering if anyone had tried a coil in the sump.. flexible copper or something home grown could be used.. and a radiator with a fan with the water circulated with a pump.

The problem with that is you would not be able to get the rad cooler than the air temp in the room.

I figured that out a long time ago.. forgot to edit it.. thanks anyway..LOL
It didnt ocurr to me that reefers needed below room temp, I forgot.. been awile since I read about it..

Back
Top Bottom