Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

homemade drift wood problems HELP

ok i recently found a few masses of root wood and a nice stump from a lot that a construction company is clearing.. out of the 4 pieces i have i soaked and peeled the bark off them and they are drying nicely and look very good but i am getting a greenish white mold on the large of the 4 pieces i did have to soak this on longer to get the thicker bark off of it but it has been drying for a good week an a half now but over the last 3 days i have noticed a fair bit of whitish green mold on the outside of the wood where i peeled the bark off of..... how would i get rid of this.... note this piece is about 3.5-4' long.... also is it just a matter of time befor it just goes away and will it be safe to put in a tank eventualy?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

So the wood is molding outside the tank?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes i peeled all the bark off and put it in the sun to let it dry 100% befor i re-soaked it to leech of tannins... and yes the piece of wood has mold on it sitting on my concrete deck in 100% sun all day to dry it out... i can take pictures but i dont know how good they will be
Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I'd be careful about introducing mold to your tank. I'd be curious to know what is causing it. Have you tried a saltwater soak? That might kill the mold.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i cant realy 100% soak the piece so one half of it will be out of the biggest container i have also i do not want to use salt if i dont have to because im probably going to be useing it in a discus tank and i dont want the posible salt resedue to get into the tank for the health of the fish
Old 09-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://i.imgur.com/5cyuS.jpg imgur: the simple image sharer http://i.imgur.com/GNzJS.jpg

first link is the whole piece the white stuff on it is the mold there is a fair bit of it in that cevice... second link close up on the mold, 3rd link the other drift wood i have that is uneffected i think its because of the size and they dryed much quicker
Old 09-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Spray it with bleach and let it dry, rinse and scrub off any residue. Power washers do a pretty good job of cleaning wood.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i guess im gona bust out my spray bottle and preasure washer if i can get it to work then keep it inside next to my de humidifire
Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

even tho im proli just gona preasure washer cuz bleach in my tank is an even worse idea then salt cuz i know about cholrine killing fish
Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well you spray with bleach and let it dry, and then you resoak it to remove bleach.
I was going to suggest that previously, but didn't feel like explaining the process of getting the bleach out if the wood.

Tags
drift, drift wood, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com