hoods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know of any website that has a bunch all for aquariums. I would look around builds here and other forums for ideas. I'm sure someone can design one for you, what kind of hood did you have in mind?

I don't know of any website that has a bunch all for aquariums. I would look around builds here and other forums for ideas. I'm sure someone can design one for you, what kind of hood did you have in mind?
I am looking to build a wooden 'canopy' to match a home made wood stand. nothing fancy for a standard 55 gal.

I actually just started making one. I have not finished putting it together yet but will take some pictures and post them up pretty soon. I can PM you some pictures of it later today if you want.

have not actually put it together yet but i taped it together real quick and snapped a few pictures. Hopefully it will give you an idea of what it will look like. It is going to be a hanging canopy but could probably easily be adapted to sit on the tank.
img_1140549_0_adea2a8fa3ef14979267205ec396e75f.jpg

Pretty simple design. Just going to put it together with wood glue when i build it.

img_1140549_1_9fdbfe5958149c1c9cf43de9e73106cd.jpg

I slotted the side boards and then gave the cross members where the lights will be mounted a tab that slides in the side boards.

img_1140549_2_35332983fe484514485752a804de8af7.jpg

The canopy is actually sitting upside down right now. Once it is flipped over i will hang it from the pieces sitting against the floor right now. The cross members will not be glued in place. I will leave them to slide so that i can move my lights or if i ever change my lights i can just slide the boards to where i need them in order to mount it all.
img_1140549_3_f4ea4da3cee27593e5e33765ff970b50.jpg

The boards in the corners against the floor are just to hold it all together and keep it square. Probably just going to screw in 4 eye holes to hang it from. If there is to much light shining out of the top of the canopy i am just going to get a piece of black fabric to staple to the top. This will still allow the heat to escape and block the light.

Hope that gives you some ideas to start with.

There is a mysterious lurking paw in the first pic there. How hard was it to keep her out of the way lol.

Design looks sweet, nice and simple. Surprised to see you didn't block off the top, but I guess it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom