Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-23-2003, 02:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to Zuppie2000
Refugium ........An area that has escaped ecological changes occurring elsewhere and so provides a suitable habitat for relict species...........Refugium

Your only as good as you allow your self to become
Zuppie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 07:53 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
To add a little to what Zuppie2000 said, a refugium is a place seperated from the main tank that provides refuge for pods and worms and other critters. It is also a place to cultivate macro algae for nutrient removal.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
In a reef tank, it is best to not make your sump a refugium. 'Pods and such will often be destroyed in the trip to the main tank via the main pump. Small snails, bristle worms and such would almost definitely be destroyed. It is best to have a refugium that spills into the main tank.

In a FW tank, I'm not exactly sure what you would use a refugium for, other than plants. I can see that if you had fish that would eat or destroy plants, you could keep plants in the refugium and still receive the benefits. In this case, you could definitely create a refugium in your sump.

Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com