How can i make my own black water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
How can I make my own black water?

Would it work f I boil some jbl peat pellets until there completely gone then add stress coat so it's safe drive it then add it to my tank. Would that work?
I know and seen people do this with This oak leaves.

I Haven't used "JBL peat pellets" but they should work, (I have used the ones from fluval and regular peat moss from home depot) and If you are going to boil the water I don't think that you need to add any stress coat, besides you are not going to boil several gallons of water, are you? . What I would do is boil all the peat pellets in a gallon or so of water and then add some of that to your tank every time you perform a PWC as to not lower the pH drastically (if you have soft water), also if you are only looking to get "black water" and are not interested in lowering the pH you don't need much of the solution anyway. I found out that half a cup of a concentrated solution would turn the water in a 46 bow front brown pretty quickly.

i hear adding Indian almond leaves should do it and add a medicinale property to the tank ive been looking for them but cant seem to find them for some reason.....

That sounds good, to be honest I'm just simply looking for a cheap alternative to tetra blackwater. But iv found other ways to save money. But I might still boil it and use it :)
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom