How much space between plexiglass and glass for baffles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

Currently building my own sump. I read somewhere to cut the plexiglass an 8th of a inch less width wise to give you wiggle room to silicone the baffles. Well I did this and applied a little pressure to get it sit perfectly straight and the 20g tank shattered. Any ideas on how to do this properly?

Thanks,
Dave

If you had to apply pressure to get it to sit straight then it was not 1/8" less than the inside width.

Yeah. I found a very small piece sticking out a little bit. After several failed attempts of cutting the plexiglass 100% perfectly, I found a place that would do it. They cut it perfectly, I just had to sand the sides down just a tiny bit to get a better fit. Waiting for it to dry now, may have used a bit too much silicone but I'd imagine its better then not using enough.

yupp with a strait edge and a sharp utility knife you can do alot of neat things with plexi glass too with a blow torch and claps you can bend it to make your own bow front too Ive bent it to make two end tables for our bedroom

Back
Top Bottom