Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How should I run my drain to sump??

2 drains does make sense. In my situation, Looks like I will have a corner overflow box. My tank has plastic piece on the top of the trim across the middle which would get in the way.

So for a corner overflowbox. (from the top to bottom of the tank). I will have 2 drain holes drilled. What I am wondering is, I think it will be tight in that box to have 2 Durso type set ups. Or maybe not..I dont know.

But if it is too tight...I could tie in the 2 drain holes inside the overflow box. Basically feed them both into 1 standpipe. Does this totally defeat the purpose of having 2 drain lines?

I could also not use one of the holes at all and keep as a back up I guess.

Any recommendations?

Where do they typically plug up.

Need help.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

IMO 1200 + gph (2 1" drains) in a 75G is overkill. You can get the same flow by adding powerheads. If you want more flow why not just drill a larger hole and get the additional gph that way?.

IMO you're over thinking and over engineering.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with Captain. A 75g tank doesn't need dual drain lines.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #4

Thanks Guys,

You are both right. I wanted to have 2 drains only in case one got plugged. I want to play it safe. I didn't want to run both just wanted one for back up. I have decided on one drain line on a 6X6X6 box.

I will put another hole as a safety in the other top corner with a street elbow just in case my drain ever plugged.

Is a 1.5" hole satisfactory?

P.S. I am definitely overthinking!!!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer27 View Post
Thanks Guys,

You are both right. I wanted to have 2 drains only in case one got plugged. I want to play it safe. I didn't want to run both just wanted one for back up. I have decided on one drain line on a 6X6X6 box.

I will put another hole as a safety in the other top corner with a street elbow just in case my drain ever plugged.

Is your tank built from tempered glass?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Thanx but no.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer27 View Post
Thanks Guys,

Stop and think a minute. If one get clogged then your drain flow reduces by half but your return pump will still be pumping at 2X drains worth. FLOOD.

Your running a balanced equation. If you're worried about all this just run a canister (or 2) or HOB or combination.

You can not 100% insulate yourself no matter what you try
Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #7

Captain,

I am only going to use the one drain line. The other hole will have the
elbow facing up near the absolute top where the water will never reach unless it is about to spill over the top.

So my pump will be running enough to satisfy the one drain.

What do you think?

Asudavew - The bottom is tempered.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Guess I'm just not "getting it". One hole is for the drain. Durso will be fine and I doubt it could get plugged. The wall of the overflow box with small slits keeps anything big enuf to plug it away, The other hole is for the return. Hard PVC straight up into the elbow, and into the flex pipe into the tank.

What did I miss?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #9

You haven't missed anything. Basically, I don't know what the **** I am doing but Im trying to figure it out.

I don't see the need for a drilled return line. I don't mind piping over the back of the tank. Plus this way there is no siphoning chance. ( I know not much would siphon back).

I know that the line won't plug. Everyone I have talked to has said they have never heard of a line being plugged. I guess I will sleep better at night doing it this way. Does using the other hole as a safety line not make sense? Just an elbow facing up to the trim of the tank? In the 1 in 10000000 chance that the other line plugged?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

The overflow box is enclosed, right? Surrounded by small holes for the tank water to pass thru?

If so, I wouldn't worry at all about the plugged up durso standpipe.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com