How should I run my drain to sump??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefer27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
2 drains does make sense. In my situation, Looks like I will have a corner overflow box. My tank has plastic piece on the top of the trim across the middle which would get in the way.

So for a corner overflowbox. (from the top to bottom of the tank). I will have 2 drain holes drilled. What I am wondering is, I think it will be tight in that box to have 2 Durso type set ups. Or maybe not..I dont know.

But if it is too tight...I could tie in the 2 drain holes inside the overflow box. Basically feed them both into 1 standpipe. Does this totally defeat the purpose of having 2 drain lines?

I could also not use one of the holes at all and keep as a back up I guess.

Any recommendations?

Where do they typically plug up.

Need help.

IMO 1200 + gph (2 1" drains) in a 75G is overkill. You can get the same flow by adding powerheads. If you want more flow why not just drill a larger hole and get the additional gph that way?.

IMO you're over thinking and over engineering.

Thanks Guys,

You are both right. I wanted to have 2 drains only in case one got plugged. I want to play it safe. I didn't want to run both just wanted one for back up. I have decided on one drain line on a 6X6X6 box.

I will put another hole as a safety in the other top corner with a street elbow just in case my drain ever plugged.

Is a 1.5" hole satisfactory?

P.S. I am definitely overthinking!!!!!

Thanks Guys,

You are both right. I wanted to have 2 drains only in case one got plugged. I want to play it safe. I didn't want to run both just wanted one for back up. I have decided on one drain line on a 6X6X6 box.

I will put another hole as a safety in the other top corner with a street elbow just in case my drain ever plugged.

Is your tank built from tempered glass?

Thanks Guys,

Stop and think a minute. If one get clogged then your drain flow reduces by half but your return pump will still be pumping at 2X drains worth. FLOOD.

Your running a balanced equation. If you're worried about all this just run a canister (or 2) or HOB or combination.

You can not 100% insulate yourself no matter what you try

Captain,

I am only going to use the one drain line. The other hole will have the
elbow facing up near the absolute top where the water will never reach unless it is about to spill over the top.

So my pump will be running enough to satisfy the one drain.

What do you think?

Asudavew - The bottom is tempered.

Guess I'm just not "getting it". One hole is for the drain. Durso will be fine and I doubt it could get plugged. The wall of the overflow box with small slits keeps anything big enuf to plug it away, The other hole is for the return. Hard PVC straight up into the elbow, and into the flex pipe into the tank.

What did I miss?

You haven't missed anything. Basically, I don't know what the **** I am doing but Im trying to figure it out.

I don't see the need for a drilled return line. I don't mind piping over the back of the tank. Plus this way there is no siphoning chance. ( I know not much would siphon back).

I know that the line won't plug. Everyone I have talked to has said they have never heard of a line being plugged. I guess I will sleep better at night doing it this way. Does using the other hole as a safety line not make sense? Just an elbow facing up to the trim of the tank? In the 1 in 10000000 chance that the other line plugged?

The overflow box is enclosed, right? Surrounded by small holes for the tank water to pass thru?

If so, I wouldn't worry at all about the plugged up durso standpipe.

I imagine that the box will have teeth on it. Pretty standard I think. 6x6x6 kind.

I don't see the need for a drilled return line. I don't mind piping over the back of the tank. Plus this way there is no siphoning chance. ( I know not much would siphon back).
If your return line is underwater, no matter if it's over the top or thru a hole, the water will siphon back into the sump until the water level in the tank drops below the level of the return. You can go over the back, but if you take the return line to the bottom of the tank, when the pump is off the entire tank will drain. If it's 4" deep, it will drain 4" of water.
You can take the return all the way to the bottom or as deep as you want, IF you drill a small hole in the return line near the surface (1-2" deep), so when the water drops it will break the siphon. Basically, it doesn't matter if it's drilled or over the top if you set it up correctly to break the siphon before the sump floods.

Thanks ccCapt. Good point. I imagine most return lines are underwater? Where exactly do you drill the hole. I understand the concept and it makes perfect sense. You mention 1" to 2" below the surface. (Or whatever level that your sump has capacity for in case of a power outrage?)

Just having a hard time picturing. So if the return line went over the back and straight down the hole drilled would be facing you as you look at the tank?
A pic would be great.

And how big is the hole? What size drill bit?

It doesn't make any difference which way the hole faces. The purpose is just to let air in to break the siphon when the pump loses power. Size matters a little, in that it needs to be big enough to let air in fast enough that an air bubble forms at the top of the pipe rather than smaller bubbles being entrained in the siphon flow and swept down into the sump. No size is really too big though, except that it will redirect a portion of the flow. That may or may not be a problem, depending on application. Minimum size would be easy to determine experimentally. Just start with a small one, run the pump and turn it off, then watch if the siphon is able to draw water out of the tank below the level of the hole.

Typically you want the return line underwater to minimize splashing noise, and also if you want to create current in the tank it makes it easier to direct the outflow.

a flap check valve would prevent any backflow and doesn't burden the pump. Best way to prevent a flood from backflow siphoning.

Back
Top Bottom