How to build a 55 gallon tank stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Making Tank Stands

If you're a cabinet maker you are in a different league from me. Besides if I went into business then I would have to buy most of the tools to make them. I borrowed just about everything in order to make mine. I got by with a lot of help from my friends. :) If not for my friends it would never have gotten built. ..Ray

Home made stand

Here are pictures of my home made stand. It does not have the doors cut out yet as I have not yet put the doors together.

Better and sturdier than anything else you will find in the box stores.

Attachments

• Fish2 037.jpg
    Fish2 037.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Fish2 039.jpg
    Fish2 039.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Fish2 040.jpg
    Fish2 040.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 111
Wow, that looks fantastic! Funny... I am out in my garage building a stand for my 90g right now and I saw this post come up so wanted to look! I love the molding around the top, I was planning on doing something kinda similar. What shade stain is that?

Hey Vicksta, That is a beautiful piece of workmanship. I love the colours too. Great job! Can't wait to see how the doors will look....Ray

I actually do a lot of woodwork finishing so I dabble in different stains for unusual colors. The orange is actually Minwax Gunstock topped with a Polyshade Old Maple. The trim is General Finishes (found at wood shops) Merlot topped with Minwax Red Oak. Minwax satin urethane over all of it.
The doors are going to be a shaker style with the rails being the purple red and the panels the orange color.

It does not match anything in my house but I liked the combination of colors, thought it would be a good focal point.

Vicksta said:
I actually do a lot of woodwork finishing so I dabble in different stains for unusual colors. The orange is actually Minwax Gunstock topped with a Polyshade Old Maple. The trim is General Finishes (found at wood shops) Merlot topped with Minwax Red Oak. Minwax satin urethane over all of it.
The doors are going to be a shaker style with the rails being the purple red and the panels the orange color.

It does not match anything in my house but I liked the combination of colors, thought it would be a good focal point.
That's a really nice piece! Great job

I appreciate it. Thinking I am going to attempt a hood at some point. Already toying with the idea of putting trim around the black plastic at the bottom of the tank.

Vicksta said:
I appreciate it. Thinking I am going to attempt a hood at some point. Already toying with the idea of putting trim around the black plastic at the bottom of the tank.

From one cabinet maker to another great job i love mixing stains I always keep a scrap of pine and maple with my color combos and write what I mixed on the back for future reference ps try gunstocks and Ipswich both minwax I love it it's my favorite

I can be a little forgetful on jobsites so I actually write the colors, order used and finish on the top of a door. No one ever sees it unless the door is taken down.
I absolutly love clean poplar, nothing but sanding sealer and urethane. Although if I have to stain poplar I always request the greenest pieces they have (makes the lumber mill happy). It stains so uniform (unlike pine).

I do pout if people request oak to be stained golden oak.

There are so many great stain combinations that can compliment a piece beautifully, people need to be adventurous.

Vicksta said:
I can be a little forgetful on jobsites so I actually write the colors, order used and finish on the top of a door. No one ever sees it unless the door is taken down.
I absolutly love clean poplar, nothing but sanding sealer and urethane. Although if I have to stain poplar I always request the greenest pieces they have (makes the lumber mill happy). It stains so uniform (unlike pine).

I do pout if people request oak to be stained golden oak.

There are so many great stain combinations that can compliment a piece beautifully, people need to be adventurous.

Hahaha I do the same thing so sick of golden oak lol I could go on for hours with color combos another fav is ebony with cherry again minwax with a diamond clear coat it's about 45$ per gallon but the result is nothing short of fantastic

Back
Top Bottom