Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama

But what mfd was actually saying was that the OP should build a solid frame out of 2x4's, and then staple plywood over the outside to create a more finished look. He wasn't at all talking about building it cheap in any part that matters structurally.

I'm not trying to create conflict here, but I really think there has been a misunderstanding.
No intent to slander your friend. Just making sure the owner with 500lbs of water & fish resting on it, isn't going to regret it later. Good enough, usually isn't and I've made a part of my business flourish because my predecessors thought it was "good enough".

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I used a well built seating bench for my 55 gal before I bought a proper stand.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #23

Yeah the person I bought the tank from said he used a work bench. I'm still undecided on what I'm doing for the tank stand. Might ask my friend's dad, but I kind of feel determined to complete a DIY project. So I might take this on
Old 03-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley
I used a well built seating bench for my 55 gal before I bought a proper stand.
Hehe, I have one from costco that's good for 1800lbs I wanted to use (nice wood top) but the look my GF gave stopped that idea in its tracks lol.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
No intent to slander your friend. Just making sure the owner with 500lbs of water & fish resting on it, isn't going to regret it later. Good enough, usually isn't and I've made a part of my business flourish because my predecessors thought it was "good enough".

But it's not about that. A plywood skin applied to a properly built 2x4 frame stand does not affect structural integrity in any appreciable way from what I understand. A properly built 2x4 stand can easily support more than the weight of a 55 gallon tank. That's what he was saying and friend or no, I agree and have had experience with many homemade 2x4 stands.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
A simple 2x4 frame will do, unless you're wanting something fancy. Some people just staple a sheet to a 2x4 frame and call it a day. I wouldn't want that for a living room display, but for a bedroom or a fishroom, it would be cheap, easy, and functional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama

But it's not about that. A plywood skin applied to a properly built 2x4 frame stand does not affect structural integrity in any appreciable way from what I understand. A properly built 2x4 stand can easily support more than the weight of a 55 gallon tank. That's what he was saying and friend or no, I agree and have had experience with many homemade 2x4 stands.
Re-read it. (Mom's) Sheet, not plywood and cheap (&) easy. Nuff said?

I have nothing against rookie, he knows his stuff and I've taken his advice without hesitation on many matters, just not this time.

What rookie, you or I do in/on our own property is one thing, suggesting it to a stranger is another. Will you and rookie go clean it up and reimburse him if it does fail? I have my reservations.

Like I said, I make a business of fixing other peoples corner/cost cutting decisions just to maximize their bottomline. When a potential client comes to me determined to cut corners, I pass. Mainly because I know he'll be a better client when I come back in and fix other people's mistakes.

We're way OT, so let's agree to disagree, OK?

EOD

Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #27

personaly i like fancy stands for my tanks , they are also to upgrade the boring look in some rooms, but thats NOT why i have fish...dont get me wrong, i dont have a fish room, yet..lol
Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #28
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Sorry for the confusion. Trying to offer some cheap suggestions for the OP. Whether we're talking a sheet of plywood, a sheet of fabric, or a sheet of ice, it doesn't matter. None of that is going to affect the structural integrity. Now, since the OP has said they do not wish to build something simple like that, but rather have something a little nicer as it will be a display tank, we won't discuss it anymore. You can disagree with me if you wish. Opinions are opinions. I'm done here.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I hope I don't have a problem. I am building an aquarium stand for a 75 gallon tank and everything was nice and square until I finished putting the finished plywood on the back of the stand. Oh yeah I glued it besides nailing it. That was this morning, after lunch I went down to clamp the front on so I could pencil the outline for my doors and the plywood was not square with the frame. So I put the square up the legs again and I am now out 1/8" from the bottom of the stand to the top. Am I screwed or do you think that it will be okay? It is the same design as breakspirit's on You tube only mine is 4' long if you wanted to see the design.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Sorry for the confusion. Trying to offer some cheap suggestions for the OP. Whether we're talking a sheet of plywood, a sheet of fabric, or a sheet of ice, it doesn't matter. None of that is going to affect the structural integrity.
I didn't find your original statement to be confusing. In addition, your "opinion" as stated here, is factual.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, stand, tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com