Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray View Post
I hope I don't have a problem. I am building an aquarium stand for a 75 gallon tank and everything was nice and square until I finished putting the finished plywood on the back of the stand. Oh yeah I glued it besides nailing it. That was this morning, after lunch I went down to clamp the front on so I could pencil the outline for my doors and the plywood was not square with the frame. So I put the square up the legs again and I am now out 1/8" from the bottom of the stand to the top. Am I screwed or do you think that it will be okay? It is the same design as breakspirit's on You tube only mine is 4' long if you wanted to see the design.
Well you can always try sanding it down (yes, I realize that could be a lot of sanding from one side to another). Or you can get something to put under one end to try and level it out but I think the bottom line is that you should be OK with only a 1/8" off. I've gone up to 1/4" without a problem... just bugged me to see the water at an angle. Plus, once you have 600-800 lbs on top of the stand with the tank and water there is always a possibility it will fix itself as there is going to be some give in it.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aquarium Stand

Thanks Smitty, I thought I would be okay but another opinion is appreciated. :p

Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

I recently built my own stand for my 40g.

Kids and a metal stand really did not seem like a great idea. Not to mention the cheap 'flat pack' style stands I saw really did not fill me with good feelings of stability.

I used 2" x 4"s for the frame and 3/4" oak plywood for the wrap. Doubling the 3/4" plywood for the top.

I phyically stood on the top of the built cabinet to check it would hold before putting the tank on.

I know that my tank is sturdy, not to mention I stained it to suit my tastes.

If you need some suggestions for building one, let me know.

Forgot to mention. Total cost of my stand was under $150. My plywood being the most expensive thing at $45 a sheet. My moulding I used was around $50.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you need help or advise pm me you can check out a couple of my stands in my album in my profile and gallery if you like them let me know
Old 04-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #35

Aquarium Stand

Well I finally finished the stand. It turned out pretty well I think. I will try and post a couple of pics of it. It's white because that's the colour my wife wanted it and I think it makes a nice change from the last black stands I had. Anyway like everything else if I built another one it would be better than this one, as I learned a lot along the way. ...Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium stand , the skeleton almost done march 26 2011 002.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	34781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium stand coming along. April 4 2011 001.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	34782  

Name:	Aquarium stand is finished 003.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	34783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium stand is finished 004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	34784  

Old 04-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray View Post
Well I finally finished the stand. It turned out pretty well I think. I will try and post a couple of pics of it. It's white because that's the colour my wife wanted it and I think it makes a nice change from the last black stands I had. Anyway like everything else if I built another one it would be better than this one, as I learned a lot along the way. ...Ray
This is a great stand no better way to gain experience then to just do it did you finish the inside or is it just open just curious no judgement here a mounted power bar inside is also a great idea
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #37

The Stand

Hi Ryan, I am not sure exactly what you mean by finished inside? What I did is paint and varnish the inside. The stand is completely enclosed. I haven't cut any holes in the back yet because I'm not sure of the filter I will end up with. If I can, I will get a 2217 eheim filter and if I can't swing that than I will go with a 110 aquaclear. The only trouble with being retired is money (the lack of it) but it sure beats working. Oh yeah I will put a power bar inside along with one of those closet lights as soon as I get the tank etc. Thanks for the compliment on the stand. It turned out to be quite rewarding to build plus saving money over buying one and I know this one will hold the weight easily. ...Ray p.s. enclosed pic of when I put the back on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aquarium stand coming along. April 4 2011 003.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	34786  
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i just meant was the inside bare 2x4 or is plywood inside too? looks really good you should build some more and sell them for extra cash
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #39

No it is not finished inside. It has a floor naturally and then 2x4's. It would be interesting to build them for a profit but the shipping would be the killer. Thanks though..Ray
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i have built a few for profit being i am a cabinet maker but just localy for cash i did one for a 200 gallon in a high end kitchen that i remodeled to match the gunstock maple cabinets complete with hood and crown molding on the top i made 1500 on that one hardwood cabinet alone but then i did some lower end pine open face stands for around 200 so even if its once in a while the money you make is well worth the time. just a thought

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, stand, tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com