How to build a 55 gallon tank stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
severum mama said:
But what mfd was actually saying was that the OP should build a solid frame out of 2x4's, and then staple plywood over the outside to create a more finished look. He wasn't at all talking about building it cheap in any part that matters structurally.

I'm not trying to create conflict here, but I really think there has been a misunderstanding.

No intent to slander your friend. Just making sure the owner with 500lbs of water & fish resting on it, isn't going to regret it later. Good enough, usually isn't and I've made a part of my business flourish because my predecessors thought it was "good enough".

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Yeah the person I bought the tank from said he used a work bench. I'm still undecided on what I'm doing for the tank stand. Might ask my friend's dad, but I kind of feel determined to complete a DIY project. So I might take this on :)

Tim Wheatley said:
I used a well built seating bench for my 55 gal before I bought a proper stand.

Hehe, I have one from costco that's good for 1800lbs I wanted to use (nice wood top) but the look my GF gave stopped that idea in its tracks lol.

No intent to slander your friend. Just making sure the owner with 500lbs of water & fish resting on it, isn't going to regret it later. Good enough, usually isn't and I've made a part of my business flourish because my predecessors thought it was "good enough".

But it's not about that. A plywood skin applied to a properly built 2x4 frame stand does not affect structural integrity in any appreciable way from what I understand. A properly built 2x4 stand can easily support more than the weight of a 55 gallon tank. That's what he was saying and friend or no, I agree and have had experience with many homemade 2x4 stands.

mfdrookie516 said:
A simple 2x4 frame will do, unless you're wanting something fancy. Some people just staple a sheet to a 2x4 frame and call it a day. I wouldn't want that for a living room display, but for a bedroom or a fishroom, it would be cheap, easy, and functional.

severum mama said:
But it's not about that. A plywood skin applied to a properly built 2x4 frame stand does not affect structural integrity in any appreciable way from what I understand. A properly built 2x4 stand can easily support more than the weight of a 55 gallon tank. That's what he was saying and friend or no, I agree and have had experience with many homemade 2x4 stands.

Re-read it. (Mom's) Sheet, not plywood and cheap (&) easy. Nuff said?

I have nothing against rookie, he knows his stuff and I've taken his advice without hesitation on many matters, just not this time.

What rookie, you or I do in/on our own property is one thing, suggesting it to a stranger is another. Will you and rookie go clean it up and reimburse him if it does fail? I have my reservations.

Like I said, I make a business of fixing other peoples corner/cost cutting decisions just to maximize their bottomline. When a potential client comes to me determined to cut corners, I pass. Mainly because I know he'll be a better client when I come back in and fix other people's mistakes.

We're way OT, so let's agree to disagree, OK?

EOD

personaly i like fancy stands for my tanks , they are also to upgrade the boring look in some rooms, but thats NOT why i have fish...dont get me wrong, i dont have a fish room, yet..lol

Sorry for the confusion. Trying to offer some cheap suggestions for the OP. Whether we're talking a sheet of plywood, a sheet of fabric, or a sheet of ice, it doesn't matter. None of that is going to affect the structural integrity. Now, since the OP has said they do not wish to build something simple like that, but rather have something a little nicer as it will be a display tank, we won't discuss it anymore. You can disagree with me if you wish. Opinions are opinions. I'm done here.

I hope I don't have a problem. I am building an aquarium stand for a 75 gallon tank and everything was nice and square until I finished putting the finished plywood on the back of the stand. Oh yeah I glued it besides nailing it. That was this morning, after lunch I went down to clamp the front on so I could pencil the outline for my doors and the plywood was not square with the frame. So I put the square up the legs again and I am now out 1/8" from the bottom of the stand to the top. Am I screwed or do you think that it will be okay? It is the same design as breakspirit's on You tube only mine is 4' long if you wanted to see the design.

Sorry for the confusion. Trying to offer some cheap suggestions for the OP. Whether we're talking a sheet of plywood, a sheet of fabric, or a sheet of ice, it doesn't matter. None of that is going to affect the structural integrity.

I didn't find your original statement to be confusing. In addition, your "opinion" as stated here, is factual.

I hope I don't have a problem. I am building an aquarium stand for a 75 gallon tank and everything was nice and square until I finished putting the finished plywood on the back of the stand. Oh yeah I glued it besides nailing it. That was this morning, after lunch I went down to clamp the front on so I could pencil the outline for my doors and the plywood was not square with the frame. So I put the square up the legs again and I am now out 1/8" from the bottom of the stand to the top. Am I screwed or do you think that it will be okay? It is the same design as breakspirit's on You tube only mine is 4' long if you wanted to see the design.

Well you can always try sanding it down (yes, I realize that could be a lot of sanding from one side to another). Or you can get something to put under one end to try and level it out but I think the bottom line is that you should be OK with only a 1/8" off. I've gone up to 1/4" without a problem... just bugged me to see the water at an angle. Plus, once you have 600-800 lbs on top of the stand with the tank and water there is always a possibility it will fix itself as there is going to be some give in it.

I recently built my own stand for my 40g.

Kids and a metal stand really did not seem like a great idea. Not to mention the cheap 'flat pack' style stands I saw really did not fill me with good feelings of stability.

I used 2" x 4"s for the frame and 3/4" oak plywood for the wrap. Doubling the 3/4" plywood for the top.

I phyically stood on the top of the built cabinet to check it would hold before putting the tank on.

I know that my tank is sturdy, not to mention I stained it to suit my tastes.

If you need some suggestions for building one, let me know.

Forgot to mention. Total cost of my stand was under $150. My plywood being the most expensive thing at $45 a sheet. My moulding I used was around $50.

Last edited:
If you need help or advise pm me you can check out a couple of my stands in my album in my profile and gallery if you like them let me know

Aquarium Stand

Well I finally finished the stand. It turned out pretty well I think. I will try and post a couple of pics of it. It's white because that's the colour my wife wanted it and I think it makes a nice change from the last black stands I had. Anyway like everything else if I built another one it would be better than this one, as I learned a lot along the way. ...Ray

Attachments

• Aquarium stand , the skeleton almost done march 26 2011 002.jpg
    Aquarium stand , the skeleton almost done march 26 2011 002.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Aquarium stand coming along. April 4 2011 001.jpg
    Aquarium stand coming along. April 4 2011 001.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Aquarium stand is finished 003.jpg
    Aquarium stand is finished 003.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Aquarium stand is finished 004.jpg
    Aquarium stand is finished 004.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 139
Well I finally finished the stand. It turned out pretty well I think. I will try and post a couple of pics of it. It's white because that's the colour my wife wanted it and I think it makes a nice change from the last black stands I had. Anyway like everything else if I built another one it would be better than this one, as I learned a lot along the way. ...Ray

This is a great stand no better way to gain experience then to just do it did you finish the inside or is it just open just curious no judgement here a mounted power bar inside is also a great idea

The Stand

Hi Ryan, I am not sure exactly what you mean by finished inside? What I did is paint and varnish the inside. The stand is completely enclosed. I haven't cut any holes in the back yet because I'm not sure of the filter I will end up with. If I can, I will get a 2217 eheim filter and if I can't swing that than I will go with a 110 aquaclear. The only trouble with being retired is money (the lack of it) but it sure beats working. Oh yeah I will put a power bar inside along with one of those closet lights as soon as I get the tank etc. Thanks for the compliment on the stand. It turned out to be quite rewarding to build plus saving money over buying one and I know this one will hold the weight easily. ...Ray p.s. enclosed pic of when I put the back on.

Attachments

• Aquarium stand coming along. April 4 2011 003.jpg
    Aquarium stand coming along. April 4 2011 003.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 142
No it is not finished inside. It has a floor naturally and then 2x4's. It would be interesting to build them for a profit but the shipping would be the killer. Thanks though..Ray

i have built a few for profit being i am a cabinet maker but just localy for cash i did one for a 200 gallon in a high end kitchen that i remodeled to match the gunstock maple cabinets complete with hood and crown molding on the top i made 1500 on that one hardwood cabinet alone but then i did some lower end pine open face stands for around 200 so even if its once in a while the money you make is well worth the time. just a thought

Back
Top Bottom