Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #1

How to build a 55 gallon tank stand?

Exact steps, materials, etc. Just got my used 55 gallon with a light, hood, and heater. How do I build a stand?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan5359
Exact steps, materials, etc. Just got my used 55 gallon with a light, hood, and heater. How do I build a stand?
The short answer would be, very strong ).

But to answer your question, there's many options. Do you want an open front, or enclosed like a cupboard? Search here or google aquarium stands, find one that looks right for you. It doesn't need to be sized for your 55, since it's easy enough to recalculate dimensions to fit. IME, having some extra space arond the tank edge for food, or working space is a plus. I built mine with a slide out shelf and a "leg" that supports a 5g bucket filled.

Lkike choosing what fish will go in the tank, make a list of what features appeal to you.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Old 03-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

I like that tank stand that person built in the DIY section, I think it was a 38 gallon tank stand. Something like that
Old 03-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan5359
I like that tank stand that person built in the DIY section, I think it was a 38 gallon tank stand. Something like that
Glad you found something that appealed to you. Going to a LFS that sells stands and seeing what they have to get ideas is something to do too. I do and keep notes so when I'm ready to set up my SW tank, I'll have what I want.

DIY is great, I just built a CF fixture and have another project planned.

Have fun with it and remember, you have to support a bit less than 500 lbs! My rule of thumb is, figure the weight needed to support and build for 2.5X that. It may be overkill, but it won't collapse.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #5

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

A simple 2x4 frame will do, unless you're wanting something fancy. Some people just staple a sheet to a 2x4 frame and call it a day. I wouldn't want that for a living room display, but for a bedroom or a fishroom, it would be cheap, easy, and functional.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #7

It's not really a fish room nor a display room so I wouldn't want it to look too cheap like that cinderblock idea. (no offense to anyone who uses it)
Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

No, I understand completely. In a room dedicated to aquariums, or in a place visitors wouldn't normally see, that would be fine. I'm in agreement though. In an area commonly seen by family, friends, etc.. a niced finished stand is a must (at least for me).

I'm going to look back. I'm pretty sure somebody posted some good plans for a stand. Maybe it was Meegosh. I'll try to find it for you.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
A simple 2x4 frame will do, unless you're wanting something fancy. Some people just staple a sheet to a 2x4 frame and call it a day. I wouldn't want that for a living room display, but for a bedroom or a fishroom, it would be cheap, easy, and functional.
I beg to differ, but IMO building something cheap with staples will more than likely give you just one thing, 55 gallons of water, and fish on your carpet. Bad advice, isn't really advice at all, is it?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
I beg to differ, but IMO building something cheap with staples will more than likely give you just one thing, 55 gallons of water, and fish on your carpet. Bad advice, isn't really advice at all, is it?

Maybe you should re-read my comment before you jump to conclusions? I said staple a sheet, not staple the frame! I can tell you for certain that 2x4's will easily support a 55g tank.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, stand, tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com