How to convert a small closet into an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mountainnana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would like to take an unused guest bathroom closet and covert the space into an Aquarium with led lighting etc. Has anyone done something like this? I'm not sure where to start.

That would be amazing! First you would need to figure out how many sides you want to see through. Then knock out the same number of walls. Then completely paint the rest of it the color you want it to be. The plumb. Then waterproof. Then add glass. That's not step by step but it's an overview

bettaowner said:
You know you can't use air sparys right? They're bad for the fish.

Good point. If I were you I would build a 36" stand then a 36" cube tank with one viewing window and and a canopy to hold your lighting. After that I would finish with some drywall and trim to give it an in-wall look as if it were never a closet with the back wall cut out and replaced with doors for maintenance access from the room behind it for a very clean look on the display side.

Sounds sweet! I would either learn how to construct it with plexiglass (or glass) or do as mentioned and learn to waterproof the walls with just the viewing pains being glass. To make it easier on you I would also plumb it so that you can do water changes by pushing a button (much better than getting a ladder and vacuuming :) )
Just an idea but if you wanted to make it really cool and natural looking then you could build a 3d background! It would look amazing!

Hair sprays and other sprays in the air can poison the fish especially inverts.

*scratches head* That was the only thing I could think of. But, how exactly did aerosol cans enter into a discussion about converting a closet to a fish tank?

Oh, I missed that! Makes much more sense now. With proper venting, it wouldn't necessarily be a problem, though. But, it certainly complicates the matter.

MacDracor said:
Oh, I missed that! Makes much more sense now. With proper venting, it wouldn't necessarily be a problem, though. But, it certainly complicates the matter.

That's why I think access from behind and sealing the front would be the best option. 3' in-wall cube in the bathroom would look awesome! Lol

That's why I think access from behind and sealing the front would be the best option. 3' in-wall cube in the bathroom would look awesome! Lol
Only is back access would allow a 3d background still. Although a completely sealed front would look amazing!
As a side note is this closet on a first floor? Because you might like the results if you make a second story colset into a 2000 pound aquarium without reinforcing the floor :)

lol I agree MacDracor but they are pretty overstocked tanks lol

A few of tanks like the tv tank they built was over crowded. An irradecent shark in 8 gallons? I don't think so! They use bacteria in a bottle so it's not really rushed.

The bacteria in a bottle products all make the same claim. Instantly cycle, ready to add fish immediately. And that is... largely true.
However, who in their right mind dumps a bunch of bacteria in, then stick a dozen huge fish into a tank right away? Even with the bottled cultures, you should always stock slowly.
Don't get me wrong, I love the tanks they build. Some are ingenious, all are creative. I love that they are generating new interest in the hobby. But they are creating very unrealistic expectations and endangering the animals.
My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom