How To Create a Tiered/Terraced Affect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djlen3

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going to tear down a tank after 12 years and have decided I want to create a multi-level affect in the new aqua-scape.
I want to epoxy small pieces of stone together and attach them to a base to create a 'wall' that would rise up to another level.
I've heard of people using using Styrofoam and epoxy for this purpose.

If anyone has any experience in this area or know of a site that would have instructions/pictures on how to build this, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Len

No links, but a fellow local aquarist I know builds terracing walls just like you are describing and sells them at local auctions. I have seen some that he has used in his own tanks, and they work great.

That's encouraging. It's sort of a new idea and I wasn't sure that it would work, but I'm going to go ahead a try to build one and see how it works out.

If you see this guy, ask him to post some pictures for us. I'm sort of artistically challenged.:) I can envision this stuff, but something gets lost when I try to implement it.

Len

I have done this is my tank (I use long curves as opposed to walls) and it looks great - Make sure you don;t just use heaps of substrate though, otherwise you'll end up with big anaerobic pockets. I use a UGF which trickles in reverse and I have built it up to follow the curves in my tank so the substrate is always the same depth.

Post some picks once you're done!!

considered cement?

I just did my whole background with green styrofoam blocks from Michael's craft stores.. they come in packs of 6 blocks, 2.58" x 8" x 4" for $2.50. They cut like butter with an old steaknife, and they have a nice tooth for the epoxy to hold onto, but the epoxy will melt the styro unless it's water based... good luck trying to find any locally under a 3 gallon bucket which will make you about 24,674 "terraces" and will cost you over a hundred bucks to ship. Also stays really glossy and unnatural, and STINKS. My solution was portland cement. Check my thread called "Another DIY background" in this forum, or e-mail me w/ any questions. It's unbelieveably easy and cheap... Also, these green Styro bricks can be glued w/ a low-melt glue gun for an instant bond, as silicone will ned to set up over night and is more expensive to boot. You can also use toothpicks like rebar in the stones. All the glue and toothpicks will be sealed by your topcoat anyway.

Back
Top Bottom