how to cut acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

son2fu

Aquarium Advice Regular
i recently purchased a new bio wheel filter 150, it is 8 inches long and the hole at the top of my tank has only 7 inches to spare, how can i make it longer? can i cut it somehow?

Acrylic isn't hard to cut. Put some masking tape on both sides of the plastic, and use normal wood cutting tools on it. The tape keeps it from chipping and scratching.

Be careful though about cutting into the bracing on your tank, some of that is structural. Might get another piece of acryllic to strengthen the area around the cutout. Find out exactly what kind of acryllic the tank is and match it, and use the glue for that kind of acryllic.

will i have a super hard time if my tank is already up and running, and the hole being cut is in the back?

Is the top removable? On the tank it will be extremely difficult to not drop acrylic particles into the water. If it is removable then dskidmore is right. I use a jigsaw to cut mine.

Is this a freshwater or saltwater tank?

I don't think the acryllic dust will hurt anything, I'd be more worried about tools and residue on tools coming in contact with the water.

My fish would probably try and eat the acrylic particles. LOL, I swear they will eat anything. You could lower the water level if the main concern was the residue or the tool coming in contact with the water.

Also, you could get a piece of tarp, pond liner, plastic, something, and place it under the cutting area.

I use a jigsaw to cut mine.
with the tank up and running a jig saw might shake the h--l out of your fish...I would lower the water, and cover...then use a router , or dremmel tool to cut...the dremmel will give you a clean cut , and wont shake the tank so bad.

no, sadly, the top isnt removable... it is freshwater tank a truvu brand acrylic 26 gallon. how long would it take for a dremmel to cut it? about 2 inches?

Attachments

• acrylic_1_349.jpg
    acrylic_1_349.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 146
Not too long, a dremmel cuts very well. Just don't drop it in the water!! That would not be good. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

If you get a diamond cutoff wheel for the dremel, you can make a cut like that in just a few minutes. (I use that to doctor an old A/C filter). I actually make a cut in my (empty!) glass tank with it in less than 1/2 hr. Doing it in acrylic will be 100x easier.

You will need to be VERY careful about not letting acrylic bits, the drill bit, or the dremel itself falling into the water.

It would be a good idea to radius the corners of the cuts as well. A square corner can create stress risers wich can lead to cracks. A rounded corner helps relieve the stress.

bound_for_obx said:
It would be a good idea to radius the corners of the cuts as well. A square corner can create stress risers wich can lead to cracks. A rounded corner helps relieve the stress.
thanks for the tip, i plan on only cuttin like two inches longer.

Back
Top Bottom