how to level the top of my aquarium stand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the top mostly level, but I had to shim it in spots because My framing was not so good, my top piece ended up level but not flat, kind of wavy.

I was thinking of using a type of floor levler to make it flat and level, but I also want to have a nice finish. any ideas on what product I can use? or even if it's a good approche? I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Pic included.

Attachments

• dsc00686_188.jpg
    dsc00686_188.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 125
If you mean the surface for your tank to sit on, I think most people create a lip around the outside, that goes "around" the tank and then the inner area that holds the tank has a large piece of stiff foam on in - one that comes from a craft store or the like. Using the foam, the tank weight will press out any imperfections on the wook surface and sorta fix itself.

Much easier than trying to make the wood "Shelf" area perfect - in which case if you dont succeed, the tank risks being stressed/cracked/etc.

I have heard of folks using a thin sheet of insulation foam (the pink stuff) or a thin rubber mat material, etc. As tbone said, to fill in any sligh imperfections.

If your tank will cover the majority, if not all, of the surface I wouldn't worry to much about what it looks like since you'll never see it.

i used the pink rigid sheets of insulation for my tank stand. i went with the 3/4 inch thick board. i actually planned this into the design of my stand and built a lip to cover the ugly plastic tank frame. to my surprise i dont think the insulation boacd compressed at all. i was surprised that the weight of the tank could be small enough on a pounds per square inch basis to not crush the insulating board.

btw, my tank is a 55 gallon (standard dimensions).

~mike

I talked to my brother in law and he said the same thing, to use a 1/2 insulation board from HD. but he also said that shims between the board and the framing was bad idea, and i should redo the framing to be flat and level, the still use the foam

i heard of some people using those foam floor mats for kids. the one that attach like puzzle pieces.

well I got a hold of a laser level, which beats the pants off the 2' level i was using, and i am off, way off. so I am starting over. I will have to cut new legs for the frt, but thats it. I will still use the foam when i am done.

wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom