Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How to make a sponge filter and pump Q?

Hi,
I have an air pump rated for 170 gal and want a shrimp tank. I have four outlets on the pump- they are all in use but only until my ich treatment is over. I was recommended to get a sponge filter for the shrimp bowl I want. How do I make one and is it possible to make it small enough to not be obstructing the bowl view? Also, how many outlets off the pump do I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How big of a shrimp tank are you planning?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 gal bowl or so

Old 10-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Many well stocked LFS sell some wide diameter solid plastic tubing. It's about 1" in diameter or so.

You can get one of these and poke / drill some holes in the bottom for water flow.

Pull some airline tubing all the way through it so it sticks out the bottom and put an airstone on it.

loosely roll up some cut to size filter batting and stick it in the bottom of the plastic tube

Pull the airstone so that it pulls the filter batting inside the tube and so the airstone is above the holes in the bottom of the tube.

Voila, a highy effective very well oxygenated filter.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

How does it work?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The air pulls water up through the filter media as well as oxygenating it creating a perfect place for bacterial growth.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool okay thanks!

Emerald76
Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yesterday I made a filter for a shrimp breeding tank out of a small plastic water bottle.

I made some holes in the side near the bottom of the bottle. I had a aquaclear coarse sponge and cut a square the same size as the diameter of the water bottle. I cut a slit across the bottom of the bottle, and put the sponge about in the middle of the bottle. Then I put a rock (to weigh it down) and some poly-fill below the sponge.

I made two holes in the cap for the airlines, then cut a short piece of airline, about 4", from a section of airline that had a curl to it and put it in the cap so that it sticks out the top and curls over (and doesn't extend very far into the bottle, maybe 1/8" - 1/4"). This pulls water through as the air bubbles up through it. You can use a bit larger size of vinyl tubing for this part if you need more flow, I just used airline since it's all I had.

Then I put the other airline through the cap, attached a small airstone that drops down into the bottle and sits on top of the sponge. The other end attaches to the pump, of course. I put the airstone in first, then added some established ceramic bio-media (biomax) on top of the airstone. Now I have an instantly cycled shrimp tank to start breeding RCS.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDepth View Post
Yesterday I made a filter for a shrimp breeding tank out of a small plastic water bottle.

I made some holes in the side near the bottom of the bottle. I had a aquaclear coarse sponge and cut a square the same size as the diameter of the water bottle. I cut a slit across the bottom of the bottle, and put the sponge about in the middle of the bottle. Then I put a rock (to weigh it down) and some poly-fill below the sponge.

I made two holes in the cap for the airlines, then cut a short piece of airline, about 4", from a section of airline that had a curl to it and put it in the cap so that it sticks out the top and curls over (and doesn't extend very far into the bottle, maybe 1/8" - 1/4"). This pulls water through as the air bubbles up through it. You can use a bit larger size of vinyl tubing for this part if you need more flow, I just used airline since it's all I had.

Then I put the other airline through the cap, attached a small airstone that drops down into the bottle and sits on top of the sponge. The other end attaches to the pump, of course. I put the airstone in first, then added some established ceramic bio-media (biomax) on top of the airstone. Now I have an instantly cycled shrimp tank to start breeding RCS.
Thats about how I usually make my filters, but a water bottle is a bit much for a tank this small. Also a bit overkill for just shrimp.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's a really tiny water bottle. 6 or 8 oz. I'm not sure.

Tags
filter, pump, sponge, sponge filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com