Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
How to paint my tank

I am looking for best practices from someone who is experienced at painting the back of an aquarium (Salt Water Fish Only Drilled from the bottome). What I am looking for is suggestions on color, type of paint (be specific by brand and type), and tips on how to prepare and actually do it well - including # of coats. Thanks in advance.

eatsomepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

Looks for a spray paint called Krylon Fusion. It adheres to glass, and it comes in many different colors. However, the most popular colors that have been used are black, deep blue, and light blue.

Black has its benefits because if you have any black cables in the tank, they wont stick out as much because they will blend in with the black background.

I'm not a big fan of the blues for a tank background.. but to each their own.

Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
havent done sw tank but its about the same. most people want black or blue. is this a glass tank? thats the only ones i have done. i went down to walmart got a couple cans of black spray paint. i tap the rim off then use newspaper and tape off the sides and top. basically i cover all sides not being painted.

once thats done i use windex to clean the glass. after that i use rubbing alcohol again to clean it. once dried its ready to paint. the key is even coats that are thin. the first several coats is the key. go lightly and dont stand so close it will run. i do mine out side normally took me about 7 coats. i would put a new coat on every 15 mins or so.

i also tried the reg paint that rolls on its a lot harder and takes a lot longer.
mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote

paint, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com