Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
A 120mm fan (4") is quite a big fan and to have 8 computer fans that run on 12V instead of a few icecaps is quite alot of fans and would need a significant canopy to just hold them all. The icecap moves a very large amount of air and is fairly quite. I have one icecap fan blowing in my 250W MH hood on my 20 gal tank. I have the thermal sensor close to the lamp and reflector and the fan very rarly kicks into high gear.

I have see computer fans that are running and if you put your hand on the inlet or outlet of the fan you hardly know its moving air. The icecap moves a very large amount of air in compairson IMO.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL.. I didn't mean i would actually do 8 fans. 8O but yeah if you wanna spend the money i'm sure they do a very good job. I'm just gonna opt for two of the cheaper computer fans. But should I have one in and one out or should they both point in?? The thing with my setup is that it isn't critical since I have a Freshwater Fish only tank so the lighting in the canopy is just for my viewing pleasure. It isn't gonna be on all the time and super heat intensive like most.
Tmcgee

Old 01-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I would put the fans so they both blow cool air in. This will create an area of higher pressure inside the caonpoy and the warmer air will naturally vent out. If you want to encourage venting you can drill small vent holes in the top of the canopy or the back. The hardware store will sell small round covers that have holes in them you can put over these vent holes if you wish to clean up the overall look.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks fishfreek!!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
The fans move 50‚Äď112 CFM. Use that to compair it to other fans. I have found most computer fans dont move near as much as these do.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=IC5113
I found AFK Propeller fan, but it's only rated at 32,000 cfm. Not sure about cooling, but with a long enough cord you may achieve flight...

Seriously though, hows the noise level on those fans? I've got thermal issues on my PC and I already have about a dozen pc fans in there. Would love to cut out some of the fans and just use better ones. Just the ones I have in there are nice and silent.[/url]

Tags
canopy, fans

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com