How to power CPU fans in canopy?? What CPU fans to get??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1brent1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I building my own canopy for my 180 gal where it will be housing 3x 250 HQI ME's. I was told to get 4 x 4 1/2" CPU fans and install 2 on each end of the canopy, 2in 2out.

I'm at the point to where I need to purchase the fans. There are thousands of fans out there and have no idea which would work best for me. PLEASE help me locate some or tell me what to look for. Looking for the best!

Also, how will I be powering these 4 fans? And eventually I'd like to hook them up to some type of thermostat if possible?

I know http://marinemadness.com/ has 4 inch smart fans w/ built in thermostat but they each have a separate plug, that means I'd have 4 plugs to plug in when I'd like to have only one if possible. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Brent

To power a CPU fan or a computer case fan you need a 12V DC powersupply. These can be purchased at radio shack for a few $. Or purchase a fan that is 120V AC and then this can be wired to a standard two or three prong outlet and then plugged into a regular wall outlet.

To power multiple fans from a single plug you need to know the amperage pull per fan and then match a powersupply that will have enough amperage to provide the juice for the four fans collectivly.

An example lets say a 90MM computer case fan pulls 12V DC and .02amps. Four fans of this type would pull 12V DC and .08amps so you need to find a power brick that will do 8miliamps at 12V DC.

I personally just purchased an ice cap 120MM fan with themostat built in. Its a little more costly than a DIY job but a ton easier.

fishfreek said:
To power a CPU fan or a computer case fan you need a 12V DC powersupply. These can be purchased at radio shack for a few $. Or purchase a fan that is 120V AC and then this can be wired to a standard two or three prong outlet and then plugged into a regular wall outlet.

To power multiple fans from a single plug you need to know the amperage pull per fan and then match a powersupply that will have enough amperage to provide the juice for the four fans collectivly.

An example lets say a 90MM computer case fan pulls 12V DC and .02amps. Four fans of this type would pull 12V DC and .08amps so you need to find a power brick that will do 8miliamps at 12V DC.

I personally just purchased an ice cap 120MM fan with themostat built in. Its a little more costly than a DIY job but a ton easier.

cool thanks! will let you know you make out.

fishfreek said:

where did you buy it? I found one site that sells them for $43. Is that a high price? I would need 4 of them.

coralvue has a very similar smart fan that I can get for $30 each. Anyone heard of them or know reviews?

I use panaflo L1A's, 80mm PC fans. I bought an adjustable AC/DC power supply and I just wired the fans to the wires of the adaptor. I can increase or decrease the voltage to run the fans at a higher or lower speed. This is done in PC's as well.

Panaflows are nice PC fans that run about $5 or so each and are pretty quiet.

ellisz said:
I use panaflo L1A's, 80mm PC fans. I bought an adjustable AC/DC power supply and I just wired the fans to the wires of the adaptor. I can increase or decrease the voltage to run the fans at a higher or lower speed. This is done in PC's as well.

Panaflows are nice PC fans that run about $5 or so each and are pretty quiet.

These fans only move about 24cfm. How many of them are you using?

How about just using an old power supply from a PC? I am about to venture into my first canopy and I have old PC laying around and I was gonna snatch a power supply and then mount it in the hood. Would that be too much moisture for it though? HMMM. Just thought of that. I dunno if I want to mount it on the back of the hood.. I'll have to ponder that one.
Tmcgee

We got ours from radio shack for 25 dollars apiece. They are 120v and we have them wired in with the NO flourescents so that they come on an hour before and go off an hour after the MH.

Wow there are alot of responses and I am sorry I didnt see them until now.

The icecap fan I have came from www.marinedepot.com Its quite expensive for a fan but they move ALOT of air. I suspect all but the largest of canopies can get by with one or two of these fans max. The fans move 50–112 CFM. Use that to compair it to other fans. I have found most computer fans dont move near as much as these do.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=IC5113

fishfreek,
Seems like the only advantage is the thermal sensor. Otherwise for that price I could hook up 8 computer fans for that price and move way more air. Obviously noone would want 8 fans cut into their canopy but that seems like quite a chunk of change for the advantage of the thermal sensor. Just my two sense..
Tmcgee

A 120mm fan (4") is quite a big fan and to have 8 computer fans that run on 12V instead of a few icecaps is quite alot of fans and would need a significant canopy to just hold them all. The icecap moves a very large amount of air and is fairly quite. I have one icecap fan blowing in my 250W MH hood on my 20 gal tank. I have the thermal sensor close to the lamp and reflector and the fan very rarly kicks into high gear.

I have see computer fans that are running and if you put your hand on the inlet or outlet of the fan you hardly know its moving air. The icecap moves a very large amount of air in compairson IMO.

LOL.. I didn't mean i would actually do 8 fans. 8O :lol: :lol: but yeah if you wanna spend the money i'm sure they do a very good job. I'm just gonna opt for two of the cheaper computer fans. But should I have one in and one out or should they both point in?? The thing with my setup is that it isn't critical since I have a Freshwater Fish only tank so the lighting in the canopy is just for my viewing pleasure. It isn't gonna be on all the time and super heat intensive like most.
Tmcgee

I would put the fans so they both blow cool air in. This will create an area of higher pressure inside the caonpoy and the warmer air will naturally vent out. If you want to encourage venting you can drill small vent holes in the top of the canopy or the back. The hardware store will sell small round covers that have holes in them you can put over these vent holes if you wish to clean up the overall look.

fishfreek said:
The fans move 50–112 CFM. Use that to compair it to other fans. I have found most computer fans dont move near as much as these do.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=IC5113
I found AFK Propeller fan, but it's only rated at 32,000 cfm. Not sure about cooling, but with a long enough cord you may achieve flight...

Seriously though, hows the noise level on those fans? I've got thermal issues on my PC and I already have about a dozen pc fans in there. Would love to cut out some of the fans and just use better ones. Just the ones I have in there are nice and silent.[/url]

Back
Top Bottom