Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How to put glass back together on bottom pane of the aquarium?

The glass of my aquarium is not placed on top of the bottom pane of glass but on the outside of it. How would i go about putting it back together? I wouldn't be able to smooth out the bottom of the aquarium and the silicone coming out of the bottom of the tank will stick to whatever surface i'm working with. Please help me!!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try placing small pieces of wood next to each other like railroad ties. Lay the bottom piece on that. Once the silicon cures you can just take a razor blade and scrape off the excess. I assume you are using clamps of some sort to hold the thing together while the silicon cures.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also there are several articles like this one you might want to look at.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What kind of clamps are you talking about? I was thinking of using tape.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking bar clamps but tape should work.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i think i'm going to just scrap it. The silicon isn't coming off it leaves a film and requires a lot of alcohol. It would take me hours maybe days to remove all the silicone. I'm better off buying a new 32G..Kinda sad right now but i have no choice. What a waste of a day.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That sucks, if it is just a thin film try scrubbing it off with a kitchen scrub pad.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I gave it one last go this morning. The scrubbing pad helped a bit but again it would take me hours to scrub each pane. Either way the glass had chips and a ton of scratches. I'm going to call some pet shops here and see if i can find another cheap 32G since i have the hood already. If not i'll try my luck at a used one again. Hopefully next person i get actually knows what good condition means. I should hopefully have the new tank by sunday and i'll post it fully up and running. In the meantime i'll clean out the fluval 205 and check out the stand he gave me. I don't want any other surprises.

Speaking of the stand it was a little to small for the tank in width so i'm going to cut a piece of plywood to fit it. The stand wobbled very slightly when the tank was empty but wouldn't budge when it was full. Should i be worried? I don't want to try and reinforce it and end up wasting more money by screwing it up. I'll check it out and tighten any screws and such. It is levelled though.

I just gave my pleco away since it was getting to big and i didn't want it to live in a bucket until i got the new tank. He was a beauty. Hopefully my 4 tetras and 3 minnows will be ok in a 5G with a betta until sunday.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Alcohol will not remove silicone. The film needs to be removed with a razor blade.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ya I threw out the tank already. It would of taken me a week to remove all that silicone.

Tags
bottom, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com