Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to secuono Send a message via Yahoo to secuono
How to reinforce floor for a 210g aquarium??

I'm getting a glass 210 tank, 84x24x24in. It will be along the exterior wall of our 1930's farm house. It'll sit perpendicular to the beams. They are 8in by 2in beams, inner spacing between them is 14in and they are 13ft 8in long. There is 1in solid wood flooring covered by 3/4in fancy plywood as the floor.

Is there any additional support I should add? If so, how do I do that and with what?

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #2

It would be best to contact an engineer or contractor. You are talking about one ton of weight on fourteen square feet. You could probably post this on an engineering forum and get a decent answer.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it all depends on what the underside of the floor looks like. i own a general contracting business and do reinforcement all the time. If u can take pictures of the area under the floor where the tank will be places. i will be able to help u more. off the top of my head a few things u could do is double up the floor joist under the tank area and build bearing wall underneath. there are other methods of doing this its just hard to tell u somthing without seeing what it looks like.

if u dont feel comfortable about doing it yourself i would 100% agree with contacting a local contractor to help u with the design and building process it requires
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #4

Your best bet would be yes hire a contrator or if you have the tools and are pretty handy put cross beams inbettwen the studs in the floor and to add extra support run some 2x6 down every 1 foot down to the ground I have a 500 gal hot tub and ran into the same problem with my elevated deck ill post a pic asap for and example
Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

While you are at it put a drain on the back up and slope the floor a bit. So if u have a spill or leak water goes out.

Saltwater or freshwater??
Old 08-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 75 gallon in a 1907 house, on the first floor with a basement underneath. The basement has a concrete floor. The tank runs along an exterior wall, but runs parallel to the joists. I bought a four foot long piece of steel I-beam from a scrap yard, and put it across the 3 joists under it. Then I held the I-beam up against those joists with a heavy duty pole jack. This is possibly a bit of over kill, but no one can say it is not doing the job.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I put a beam under the boards that will be under the tank and make a supporting wall, will that work? It's a dirt floor that has been dug out by hand over time. Half[where the tank will be] has not been dug out and it's more like a crawl space.

I will get a picture for you tomorrow, paulweck.

It's for a freshwater setup.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would imagine a "supporting wall" would do the same job as an I-beam and a pole jack. I went with steel for the extra strength, however. And if you are doing a 210 gallon tank, you might want to consider steel as well.

However, a pole jack puts all the weight down onto one spot, and I am not sure how well that will work with a dirt floor. Lots of variables there. I have no experience with dirt floors, so I cannot be of much help with that.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

imo u should double them 2x8 with new wood and try to build a small bearing wall underneath the tank. it looks like quite a job being in such a tight crawl space be sure to use lag bolts to connect the the doubled up joist together. good luck i hope this helps

paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com