Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

does anyone have any flow rates yet?

140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyian
Im not 100% sure but when the siphon did break i dont believe that it would start again when you wanted it to.
I think that the siphon will be maintained in case of a power out & will restart when the power comes back on. However, I see a possible problem. On your picture, it looks like the sump exit point is higher than the tank intake strainers? The water level in the tank will need to be higher than that level ( and quite a bit higher than the level of the strainer) before the siphon will flow.

This is like what I have now (although I made it with a back overflow box). The water level in the tank end up controlled by the sump outlet level, plus a bit extra "head pressure" to drive the siphon. I find that it is a PITA to adjust, as the water level will change with any change in return pump flow, back pressure from the wet/dry, etc. <That is one reason I want to make a new one>.

The system I am planning <see picture> will have the sump outlet between the strainer & the bottom of the in-tank loop. I think this way, the water level is controlled by the strainer height, and the driving pressure through the siphon is fixed so I'll have constant flow.

Any one see any flaw in the design?
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2005, 09:59 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

The reason that the rear is higher now is because I havn't put the strainer pieces into place yet. The rear tubes are at the waterline I wanted in my tank. It keeps the water just above the glass line so you do not see the top of the water while viewing from the front.

Here is what it will eventually look like. Pic courtsey of Craig's DIY Reef Ideas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overflow_1024.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	187  
Old 01-21-2005, 09:47 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Phyl hows the overflow working?
Old 01-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

We haven't finished it yet. We have the airtube thing installed, just need to glue it together and test it. I'll definitely post back when I have some news!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:04 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Kasakato
Do you think that would work with 1/2" PVC pipes? I want a super low flow rate, for my 20g tank.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dont see why it wouldn't work you would just have to recalculate some of the measurements to work with your tank and the size of the PVC. I havn't been able to afford my pump yet so I havn't been able to let anyone know how well it works on the tank. It worked well hanging off the side of the laundry tub with the tap on though.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:38 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Verbalkint Send a message via Yahoo to Verbalkint
Just curious, as I have not seen any real numbers yet...

Using the 1" PVC, what are the lengths of the straight parts?

For instance, the length of the strainers is cake.. Determined by how much water you want in the tank.

But, the other straight parts... How long should those be?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

I think the length is up to you. It is a compromize between looks & function.

My thinking is expressed in the drawing I made few posts back. You need to have the sump outlet between the intake strainer & the bottom of the in tank loop. For maximum flow, you want as much height between the intake water level & the sump out. If looks was not a concern, you would want to have the in tank loop down to the tank bottom & site the sump out almost at the bottom. This is like a drilled tank's arrangement, and will give you something like 20" of head pressure to drive the siphon - that should give great flow rates & may allow for smaller tube size. But I think a big thing like that would be ugly!

I am waiting for some flow numbers to see how short I can make the in tank loop & still get good flow. I read few years ago a site that has a calculator on head pressure & flow rate through siphons. I am trying to find that again to give me some guide on height needed. If all else fails, I'll have to experiment in the bathtub.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Kasakato
About how much PVC did you use? I was going to go to HD anyways so I guess I could get this at the same time. Also how much is it?

Tags
flow, overflow, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com