Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hydroelectricty

Has anyone tried or had thoughts of using hydroelectricity to power their fish room? I'm thinking about making a water wheel that will turn using the draining water from my fish tanks to turn an alternator which will store electric in old car batteries, which will in turn power my lights, heater, filters. Depending on the electrical output. I have been contemplating on how to make my fish room as "Eco friendly" as possible. Do you guys think it's possible to do something of this sort? I still have a lot of research to do, but I like the thought. an other green ideas and advice on hydroelectricity would be awesome! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3726610505.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	164984  

Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, I wonder if you could do something with the filter output and a wheel??

I've never thought about it until I saw this post, but it sounds like a plausible idea. Definitely interested to see other peoples input.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

After seeing this post, I believe I may start researching this idea as well. I think with a sponge filter you could set up a mechanical motor that the bubbles will operate a wheel that will in turn operate a pump to regenerate the bubbles through the system. I created something similar to this once in college and maybe if I find the right box of notebooks I could be lucky enough to find my blueprints and notes.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, what if you put something on a biowheel filter, and hooked that to the plug of the biowheel. Therefore powering the biowheel for eternity! LOL
Old 04-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
come get me tang police!

You can't generate more power than what you are using, you can only reduce the power by recovering some of it. I think it'd be cool though, and it'd cut back on the power bill some (not sure how much). Another thing you can do is hook up a solar cell to run simple filtration or charge batteries.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm hoping I can use it to even run just my lights. That would be awesome! The only thing that would be using electricity to power the wheel would be my rerun pump. Also, if you find your blue prints, I would love to see what your ideas were.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you have an under tank sump u could put a propeller in the down pipe and use that to generate electricity
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm all about wild ideas but don't forget the power you get from water that YOU pumped will always be a good bit less then the power the pump used. No free power. Any heat is power lost, any pipe friction is power lost and turning motion into electric is either very expensive or excessively wasteful, something you can't afford in such a micro sized system. I'd still build something to test your idea, you'll learn so much from it.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

On Doomsday Preppers, the tv show, a couple in Va used a paddle wheel and car alternator to charge batteries. It was about the size of a large wheel barrel. The stream was only a small one and they got enough power to charge several large batteries and run their refrigerator. You might not be able to run a whole house but you should be able to get some return.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm an alternative energy guy myself. And I'll help with any part that I can or you would like. I'm just stating a realistic expectation, if you are burning 500 watts an hour to move the water with pumps your generator output would have to be 500w minus losses. It's all doable, from a full DIY geny build to modding an existing motor or buying a premade brushless thats 99% efficient , then just make it spin. I say build on.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com