I don't have polystyrene/styrofoam under 32g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labidis

Aquarium Advice Activist
When i set up my 32g tank 9 months ago, i didn't put polystyrene/styrofoam between the tank base and the cabinet its sitting on.
I only just noticed that my water levels are not even either from left to right.

Is this asking for potential disaster like a broken glass base ?

The unit itself has like a thick plastic black boarder around it, but cant recall if it goes right under.
Any ideas on what i should do now?

The tank is DISCOVERY TANK KIT 125L - AQUARIUM, TANKS SINGLE, AQUATOPIA - Product Detail - Premier Pet Pty Ltd

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416233651.970547.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't think you have anything to worry about. None of my tanks are perfectly level.

Unless the stand itself is not sturdy and is shifting, you should be fine. Usually, if the glass is going to break due to being unlevel, it will happen quickly. If your tank has been up for 9 months, probably not a problem.

Styrofoam will not help that situation. If the surface the tank sits on isn't level, it will still be that way with styro under the tank, Styro does help with discrepencies in the flatness of the stand top. So, as long as all four corners are in the same plane, being slightly out of level doesn't represent a danger. If one corner is out, so the tank is twisting, there is a risk of long term failure. Doesn't mean the tank will blow apart, but it could start to leak down the road. Or not.

Styrofoam will not help that situation. If the surface the tank sits on isn't level, it will still be that way with styro under the tank, Styro does help with discrepencies in the flatness of the stand top. So, as long as all four corners are in the same plane, being slightly out of level doesn't represent a danger. If one corner is out, so the tank is twisting, there is a risk of long term failure. Doesn't mean the tank will blow apart, but it could start to leak down the road. Or not.

this, as long as no torque is being applied to any of the glass panels, the amount your tank is off should be ok.
If the cabinet/stand isn't fixed in place, try putting some shims under the low end to level it.

Good point. Once again, I used the "level" when I meant "flat". ( I must be getting old :eek:) Level is not as important as flat is. (You should see how "unlevel" my tanks are. :lol: BUT, they are all on flat surfaces. (y) ) Styro does absorb some small spots of surface discrepencies but it can only go so far. This is why you need to be very careful what you put a fish tank on as it gets heavy without realizing it.

Great, thanks for all the posts and assurance.
Seems to be in good health after 9 months, so fingers crossed it stays like that.
I don't want to try anything at the moment which will make things worse.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom