Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #11

I used a fast drying flat black enamel by valstar applied with a 6" foam roller..allowed 30 mins between each coat,4 coats & done..turned very even. Also painting was done with tank up & running..

Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMHO you don't need to start over. Let what you have dry. And start fresh tomorrow. Use nice even strokes. Back and fourth and repeat. Start from the top and work your way down. Side to side. Watch for drips. I've messed up the backs of many tanks an you don't see it from the front. Just make sure to cover it totally. Just looks to me like you just have an uneven covered area. I'd hit it again. Don't waste the time and energy stripping it. JMO.

Good luck either path you take.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsdrew View Post
I don't know much of anything about painting the backs of tanks but it seems like it would be a lot easier just to buy a blue background from a fish store and tape or glue it on the back. Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

well for one it is much cheaper a couple bottles of paint for a few bucks each vs easily over $20 for backgrounds for larger tanks. easy to remove and change. I like the color options and the look it gives. The background never has stayed in place (using tape) for me in the past.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
IMHO you don't need to start over. Let what you have dry. And start fresh tomorrow. Use nice even strokes. Back and fourth and repeat. Start from the top and work your way down. Side to side. Watch for drips. I've messed up the backs of many tanks an you don't see it from the front. Just make sure to cover it totally. Just looks to me like you just have an uneven covered area. I'd hit it again. Don't waste the time and energy stripping it. JMO.

Good luck either path you take.
there's hope! I will just paint over and see how it goes! been busy it's still as is in pic, lol. I just didn't want to waste more paint and time if it wouldn't look good. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i would scrap off the other paint and start over, glossy surfaces are hard to get paint to adhere to them. than you could clean the glass with vinegar, let dry, than paint it with thin coats of paint, allowing 1 hour between coats. home depot sells an interior paint by Behr called Behr ultra. you can get it mixed in black and it costs about $14.00 a quart. i would use the flat enamel it will adhere to the glass alot easier.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

If it's latex based you should be able to just peel the paint off, I just did that with my tank with no tools other than my finger nail to get it started. I use a 4" foam roller and put the first coat on light. Wait until it's dry to the touch, just use a fan (thats what I used) inbetween coats. Mine turned out perfect.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I got my paint from home depot. i used the one for plastic. it sticks to any surface. spray a little first and let dry just to have a rough surface.

Tags
acrylic, paint

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com