Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have made a mess trying to paint back Using acrylic paint & roller

Well I obviously did not let paint dry enough in between coats.. Used a hair dryer and fan but when applying 2nd coat, first coat lifted.. I continued painting some last night but still couldn't get it even.. If I just keep applying paint and get it covered good, will the unevenness, spots where it completely came off, and paint lines show? Or should I jut clean it off and try again? This is what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2332316558.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	86320  

Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since you are painting on glass, the unevenness will smooth out on the side that is facing the wall, but the side that you will actually be viewing will still be patchy. I would recommend starting over again.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks! I was afraid of that.. So I was using a smaller foam roller.. What type works best?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never painted the back of a tank, so I wouldn't know specifics. But, I have done paintings on old windows, so that's how I know about the unevenness. I would imagine the longest roller you could find, a good deal of pressure, and lots of time.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

From my expirience painting houses and such you use heat to get rid of paint when you apply the heat paint blisters and you scrape it off. In saying this ive never painted a fishtank but my guess is they would be roughly the same if not more so as glass will retain heat much more than plaster. Let it dry naturally also when using fan forced air it sometimes has the tendancy to blow particles which get stuck on the paint while drying leaving an uneven bumpy surface
Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks guys! I had just read on here someone did 3 coats and used blow dryer in between. My attempt was pathetic partly bc of impatience.. Read it won't look opaque until you fill with water. That's why I hoped maybe the ugliness of my paint job would disappear lol
Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathers_hounds
Ok thanks guys! I had just read on here someone did 3 coats and used blow dryer in between. My attempt was pathetic partly bc of impatience.. Read it won't look opaque until you fill with water. That's why I hoped maybe the ugliness of my paint job would disappear lol
I totally get the whole heat and bumps thing though.. Just didn't think of it before hard
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It's all about patience IMO. Have never painted a fishtank but have painted plenty of other things. You need to apply coats that are not too thick and you need to let the coats dry reasonably well.

A foam roller should be OK, and too much pressure (and/or too much paint on the roller) can really leave a line at the side of the roller which you don't really want. Also make sure the roller doesn't have paint drying at the edges - if you wait for a coat to dry or take a break make sure you clean the roller completely.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree, scrape it off with a razor blade & try again. We used acrylic craft paint (Martha Stewart branded) and it dried quickly enough without any encouragement, maybe 30-60 mins between coats. But yes, 3 coats. Most important is to get that glass really clean. After regular glass cleaner we also rubbed it down with alcohol. Our roller wasn't foam but just a cheap little $2 thing from Lowes, very shallow nap.

- D
Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't know much of anything about painting the backs of tanks but it seems like it would be a lot easier just to buy a blue background from a fish store and tape or glue it on the back. Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

Tags
acrylic, paint

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com