I need advice about building an all glass aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
There are no stores within a 7 hour drive from where I live that sell over a 30 gallon tank, I need something around 50-100 gallons and I need it soon. :wink: I do not want to build a plywood tank simply because I do not have the time, room and equipment to dedicate to such a project. I local auto glass company said they could build a rectangular glass tank to my specifications and this is where my number one main concern comes in: do 'all glass' aquariums NEED the plastic/steele/wood frame work around the top of and bottom edges of the tank? If you don't know what I mean think about the typical 20 gallon aquarium available at WalMart and the black plastic peices on the top and bottom. If the frame didn't add structural integrity to the aquarium then I wouldn't be concerned however that is just not the case. Or is it? Is a silicone sealed 'all glass' aquarium strong enough in it self to hold that much water without bursting at the seams? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

to my knowledge the plastic on the bottom is the transfer medium of pressure and weight of the tank onto a stand, it also adds some protection to the glass and gives strength to the corners. the plastic on the top of the tank, if a center brace is present stops the glass from being pushed outward (bowed) by high water pressure, usually only needed on tanks 40+ gallons large.

if you have the means you can always substutate the plastic framing with wood (both top and bottom) and/or at the top of the tank, you just use a peice of glass siliconed to the sides to act as a center brace.

or if you can build the tank to manufactured aquarium dimensions, then you can special order the plastic frames from a manufacture or LFS. i had to replace the top brace on a 55gallon tank a long time back, i went to my local LFS special ordered it for 16 bucks.

AquaJoe said:
There are no stores within a 7 hour drive from where I live that sell over a 30 gallon tank,

Hah...thats what you get for being a Maritimer, by! :wink:

do 'all glass' aquariums NEED the plastic/steele/wood frame work around the top of and bottom edges of the tank?

No and yes....smaller tanks do not, larger tanks do not (if built by someone that really knows what they are doing), but do benefit greatly from it. In your case, having the tank built by glass guys that are not well aquarium-experienced, you really ptobably should have that tank framed....the other option would involve having glass braces across the top of the tank, but they will afftect asthetics and accessibility.

Whereabouts in NS are you? There may be more available to you than you realise (I have a few connections out that way that might be able to hook you up).

First of I would like to thank JProx and Tortis for taking the time to respond, thanks :)

JProx, as far as ordering a frame in goes -if there was a pet store where I lived I would have done it a while ago :p On WalMart my friend...... :|

Tortis, I am located in Reserve Mines which is in Sydney municipality. Any pointers would be great!

Last but not least, when you both said "brace the aquarium with glass to prevent bowing" you mean brace it as per GARF's instructions -no?

Cheers,
Joe

yeah, garf mentions the need of it, its not optional you must have the tank center braced. it doesn't need to be a complex appendage, it can be as simple as a peice of glass, or made of wood just as long as something is there to stop the glass from bowing outwards, once the tank is full of water.

My tank is all glass with no frames. It is 42 gallons. It has a strip of glass inside the tank about 1" wide abdout 1/2" from the top and goes the length of the tank front and back. I assube this is to keep the front from bowing.

Hey greenmaji, thanks for the website but the biggest frame they sell there is for a 29 gallon aquarium. Thanks anyway.

Joe

all of the glass tanks they sell have top glass framing AquaJoe.. thats what I was refering to.. And if I were you I would send Toirtis a PM or post were your at up there to see if he doesnt know someone that could hook you up with a big tank. :p

Back
Top Bottom