I need DIY Halide help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soldier0117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could someone post a design for DIY halides that would work on a 55 gal. Also I would like it to have plans for t-5 actinc, moon lights, and I would like if it reached from end to end of the tank so I can set it up with feet that sit on the tank. Thanks.

If you think you can save money by buying the ballast, housing, reflector, & bulbs separately and are competent at wiring then go that route. Typically though you get the best deals just buying the Retro MH & Retro VHO kits available on the net.

Each MH bulb will cover about 2 ft so you need two for a 55 gal tank. The wattage is going to depend on your corals.

Do you already have a canopy?

i bought a ballast and mogul from an electrical supply company and it cost me about 65 dollars. all you have to do is match up the size bulb that you want with the ballast. i bought a 400 watt metal halide ballast, you have to make sure its not a sodium ballast. and you can wire it up to 110 / 220 / 440 if you want.. if you have any questions just pm me.

Have a look at this[/b] and see if it helps you out. With MH bulbs over a 55 you will need to keep them about 10" off the water or you may have a boiling tank...

jerejohnson said:
i bought a ballast and mogul from an electrical supply company and it cost me about 65 dollars.
That's $65 for one and not a dual ballast I assume. You can buy MH equipment from electrical supply stores and save slightly but know the quality and advantages/disadvantages of the reflector, if the ballast is electronic or magnetic based, if it is a "raw" ballast , and what you do and do not get with each ballast.

IMO little things that electrical shops don't include with ballasts can add up just as quick as what a full kit with quality reflectors and other needed parts cost.

I agree! Better to spend a bit more money to get the complete setup rather then have to keep buying more pieces....

High quality delayed start ballasts will save you on bulb life.
Unless you have a cheap source for bulbs the long run costs for quality bulbs (or the life that depends on them) will be comprimised to some extent.
But dirt cheap you can scrape up raw magnitic balasts here and there and ebay. I wouldn't want to put T-5's though that, rapid start electronic ballasts aren't that expensive and would work fine.

This may be a stupid question but.... what is the difference between magnetic and electronic ballasts? and what are delayed start ballasts?

delayed.. I ment programed.. its easier on the bulbs by starting them up slowly.

magnetic ballasts produce exess heat and a bit less accurate at what there doing so there less effecent.

Back
Top Bottom