I need help with circle type aquarium tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What he is suggesting is a sump that is above the tank. What that is is another tank that is above your circle. You pump water from your circle up to the sump tank, and from the sump, the water flows back down to your circle tank (via holes drilled into the sump, pipes, etc.)

Your sump tank will not be full of water (all you need is a few inches of water to dampen the water fall sound). Above the sump water line (and inside the tank - so no water spills) is your wet dry filter. This can be just a simple perforated box. You fill the box with bioballs & filter media. You adjust your pump output so your water flows evenly over your media (usually some kind of distribution plate) before going into the sump. Since your filter media is actually in the air, there is a tremedeous amount of gas exchange.

You'll need about a gallon or so of space for your bioballs / media. Maybe 3 or 4 gal of water inside the sump, leave room so water don't splash out ..... maybe a 10 gal or so container for your sump & filter.

Remember that you will need ventilation in the space where you put your sump ---- to ensure fresh air for gas exchange & to decrease humidity so you don't rot your wall.

I saw the pictures it looks like I have to make a whole construction :) .
It is very possible based on the pics .
Just a confirmation based on what I saw basically the sump tank does not need to be just above the circle or behind I can put it somewhere for example closer to the ceiling or in the corner and have just two wholes or small opening above the circle for the two pipes coming in and out from the slump to the circle and for feeding and cleaning. In that way I can fill up the circle tank all the way to the top. If thats true and if possible to do it with a slump than what should be the size of the slump for a circle aquarium with that size around 30 inches in diameter and 7 inches wide.

Great suggestion for the slump thank youuu.

yes, if your pump is strong enough you could put the sump in the basement. LOL , but seriously...your looking at some big bucks for this,custom tank, custom filter, framing, drywall, trim, paint, plumbing, and electrical...

yeah it would look cool, but is it really the healthiest environment for the fish?

In typical construction that wall would be framed with 2x6 (act.1 1/2 x 5 1/2) with 1/2" drywall on each side giving you a total thickness of 6 1/2. When you deduct the thickness of the glass(I'm thinking 3/8 due to the height) you only have 5 3/4" inside the tank... not much room to turn around...let's not forget all the vibration from going up and down the stairs...If you have kids like mine that would be like an earthquake for the fish..

the more i think about it the more I would scrap the whole idea and invest all that time and money in a larger tank somewhere else in the house

Back
Top Bottom