I started my 3D background tonight...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
6 tubes of silicon really doesn't look like much once you get it on there and see it from the back... I wish I'd have used 10

6 tubes of silicon really doesn't look like much once you get it on there and see it from the back... I wish I'd have used 10

Lol. You would think 6 tubes would be overkill the. You see the back and be like dang I shoulda bought more caulk. Lol

Sent from my phone cuz im too lazy to get on my laptop

I let the silicon cure for 72 hours and put water in. Let that sit overnight. The water seemed very filmy on top so I did a full water change the next morning and installed fish and decor. Going great so far and the fish are very happy.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388880081.281778.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388880113.312524.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388880141.862238.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388880169.680165.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388880188.112177.jpg

I am in the process of building a background myself. Do you know if there is a difference between the GE silicon I and GE silicon II? The label on the II says not for aquarium use. I was wondering if the silicon I says the same.

Yes there is a difference between GE l and GE ll silicone. GE ll silicone has stuff that makes it mildew resistant and it is NOT aquarium safe. GE l is 100% silicone with no extra stuff added and it is aquarium safe.

It looks really great. I'm pretty much pleased with mine. I wish I had put the filter intake and output differently.

I know my intakes and and outputs are in plain sight and I did a lot of thinking before deciding to do them that way.

Ultimately for me it came down to convenience and what I thought was common sense.

I didn't want the intakes restricted in any way. I didn't want the outputs restricted in any way. I'm sure I could have found a way to "hide" both of them, but being a rookie at building this, I figured that was one less thing to screw up...

I'm OK with what I've got. Would I change it next time? Maybe... but it would be a TON of extra work/planning... so I'm not sure. I know this: No one yet has said: "Man, that looks awesome, but those filter intakes really detract from the whole experience"

Back
Top Bottom