Idea for a CF hood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just curious, I use those CF bulbs that go into a regular screw socket of conventional lights in my planted 10gal and got to thinking..

Could I wire just like... 4 or 6 of those socket to a wood hood and throw 6 of those CF bulbs [ 10watts per bulb ] and viola, have a 60watt hood?

You could do that but I think a pair of 32w PC's running on a Sylvania Quicktronic or Advance Electronic ballast would be better. It really wouldn't cost much to set that up.

A Workhorse 3 is less than $25.00 and the 32 watt PC bulb is less than $20.00. You throw in some sockets and shipping and you are at about $75.00.

On the other hand, you can get the 10 watters for around $8.00 each. With sockets you are lucky to finish up under $50.00.

The light doesn't spread as well from the 10 watters. You will need to replace the bulbs with the built in ballasts every year. I think for the small price difference, you should go with the pair of 32w.

Their 4 dollars what I get them, plant growth bulbs to. :\ And I already have 3 sockets laying around I can salvage..

can you point me to a site that has a Sylvania Quicktronuic, AEB, or workhorse 3?

Back
Top Bottom