Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2003, 12:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2
|.........| Water flow to tank
|.../ /..|
|./ /....|
|/ /.....|<----Tubing inside of pipe
/ /......|
/........|
|........|
|........|
|........| From pump

This comes from the theory of air brushes and Auto body spray guns...??????
Again there is no resistance after the material, paint in this instance, is picked up by the syphon. In the return system for the aquarium there is resistance from pump all the way to the return outlet.

Old 02-24-2003, 12:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

After thinking on this some more I think the only way this would work is if your inlet tube enters your return VERY close to outlet into the tank, like within and inch or less. That way there is no resistance after the syphon point. Then you have to content with having enough flow past the syphon inlet to actually draw the distance from the refuge.

Old 02-24-2003, 06:19 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'm not sure about the paint gun idea. I agree that it will probably not work in the face of resistance. A venturi will however, as long as the velocity of the water flowing through it is high enough to maintain the low pressure area inside the venturi. I don't know if the Mag 7 that was discussed for this project will have what it takes to do that. I do know that a venturi skimmer works against back pressure and that the air intake to the venturi will suck water as well as air.
Logan J

Tags
stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com