If you have an HOB power filer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buxndux

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just sitting in my room trying to figure out an efficient way to quiet my day-old marineland 350 HOB. I did a water change the same time I put the filter in and ended up with less water than I needed to be able to sleep in the same room with it. It was loud... So today I made this with some extra Eggcrate I had from making a canopy and some suction cups I wasn't using. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402426584.301314.jpg

I think I've seen people make these for frags but here's what I did with it:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402426628.070607.jpg

It impedes water flow drastically and brings the water to calm flow off the lids. And the best part is it slides up and down with ease! I'm also curious if you guys have any suggestions for bio media to put on the tray on or on top of the lids? And other hob mods that are cool and easy?

Thanks for reading!

Beau

Great idea, but why not just raise the water level to the bottom of the outlet? That's how I have mine (I have 2 Emperor 400s) and I don't hear any splashing.

That would be the easiest thing to do but there can be quite a variance in the depth of the filter outlet. Depends on the model of the HOB filter and the size of the rim of the tank (thicker rims will hold some HOB filters higher than others). Both options offer a way to redirect or baffle the flow.

I think we have the same style filters...but the rims of our tanks may be different.

You and the OP have similar filters. I use AquaClear HOBs. Have used Marineland/Emperors in the past and found that they reach further into the tank than the AC series.
Actually just took the lip extension off of the filter in the shrimp tank to increase the surface agitation.

Raising the water is definitely the most efficient way but I was lazy and didn't want to go get water haha. Thanks for reading everyone

Your Filter Mod

Hello bux...

Nice modification. Very creative. By raising the water level in the tank, you'd accomplish the same effect. However, your way reduces the surface movement, which reduces the amount of oxygen that mixes with the tank water. There's less gas exchange, which leaves more carbon dioxide, CO2 in the water and less O2. The plants will like this situation way more than the fish. It might be good to attach a length of plastic tubing to an air pump and run the opposite end of the tube to the bottom inside of the tank and attach it to the glass with a rubber suction cup. Plug in the air pump and the large bubbles will agitate the water's surface and provide more oxygen for the fish. The noise would still be minimal if you placed a small towel under the air pump.

Just a thought.

B

Thanks! I got the water level adjusted to where I don't even need it. It was mainly a quick fix so I could sleep haha. However, I think I'll raise the shelf up and add some media for increased filtration/removal of wastes.

Should I be concerned about gas exchange with an Eggcrate canopy? Before I had glass over the top so I added air tubing to both my power heads but not with the open top I removed them..

I realize keeping the water filled will prevent the noise and is the best thing to do -_- I made this when I first got the filter and didn't have access to ro water until the next day. I just use it for frags now but I might put some ceramic rings under one of the two bio wheels on top of the shelf

Back
Top Bottom