Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you have an HOB power filer!

I was just sitting in my room trying to figure out an efficient way to quiet my day-old marineland 350 HOB. I did a water change the same time I put the filter in and ended up with less water than I needed to be able to sleep in the same room with it. It was loud... So today I made this with some extra Eggcrate I had from making a canopy and some suction cups I wasn't using. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402426584.301314.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	239996

I think I've seen people make these for frags but here's what I did with it:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402426628.070607.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	239997

It impedes water flow drastically and brings the water to calm flow off the lids. And the best part is it slides up and down with ease! I'm also curious if you guys have any suggestions for bio media to put on the tray on or on top of the lids? And other hob mods that are cool and easy?

Thanks for reading!

Beau

Old 06-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Awesome idea! Lots of options for media (bag of ceramic media).
I have a mod that was created for the same reason...noise reduction. See post #3 in the following thread:
reducing filter current

Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great idea, but why not just raise the water level to the bottom of the outlet? That's how I have mine (I have 2 Emperor 400s) and I don't hear any splashing.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Fish Guy View Post
Great idea, but why not just raise the water level to the bottom of the outlet? That's how I have mine (I have 2 Emperor 400s) and I don't hear any splashing.

That would be the easiest thing to do but there can be quite a variance in the depth of the filter outlet. Depends on the model of the HOB filter and the size of the rim of the tank (thicker rims will hold some HOB filters higher than others). Both options offer a way to redirect or baffle the flow.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think we have the same style filters...but the rims of our tanks may be different.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Fish Guy View Post
I think we have the same style filters...but the rims of our tanks may be different.

You and the OP have similar filters. I use AquaClear HOBs. Have used Marineland/Emperors in the past and found that they reach further into the tank than the AC series.
Actually just took the lip extension off of the filter in the shrimp tank to increase the surface agitation.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Raising the water is definitely the most efficient way but I was lazy and didn't want to go get water haha. Thanks for reading everyone
Old 06-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Filter Mod

Hello bux...

Nice modification. Very creative. By raising the water level in the tank, you'd accomplish the same effect. However, your way reduces the surface movement, which reduces the amount of oxygen that mixes with the tank water. There's less gas exchange, which leaves more carbon dioxide, CO2 in the water and less O2. The plants will like this situation way more than the fish. It might be good to attach a length of plastic tubing to an air pump and run the opposite end of the tube to the bottom inside of the tank and attach it to the glass with a rubber suction cup. Plug in the air pump and the large bubbles will agitate the water's surface and provide more oxygen for the fish. The noise would still be minimal if you placed a small towel under the air pump.

Just a thought.

B
Old 06-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks! I got the water level adjusted to where I don't even need it. It was mainly a quick fix so I could sleep haha. However, I think I'll raise the shelf up and add some media for increased filtration/removal of wastes.

Should I be concerned about gas exchange with an Eggcrate canopy? Before I had glass over the top so I added air tubing to both my power heads but not with the open top I removed them..
Old 06-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

you wouldn't have that problem if you raised your water level in the tank

Tags
hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com