Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2003, 03:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hum Reefnewb looks like you have a different type of cutter than I am used to.
So no idea on what it will do

- - Aquipment --
010gal Glass Tank-QT/Hospital
015gal Glass Tank-Partitioned Fish Jail
33gal Glass Tank-South American Cichlids {Angels)
120gal Glass Tank-Mixed Malawi Rift
small Koi/goldfish pond
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 04:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

glass store here charges $8 to $15 a hole depending on the size you want them

I really worry about scoring a circle in a piece of glass that is 1/4" thick and then tapping out the center.

maybe you should get a small scrap of 1/4" glass from the hardware store and try it that way first.

Old 09-27-2003, 11:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
All valid worries that I indeed share. And I cannot be thankful enough for all the support here. Believe me I am INDEED apprehensive. I will get a scrap of the same depth or thicker even and attempt it again.

Again to clarify; the holes will be high on the back of the tank. also the wholes would be approx. 44" apart. One for a drain and one for a return. The plexi I spoke of was to be on the back outside of the tank to cover the entire back with matching holes simply to "thicken the back wall to ensure strength as my biggest fear after actual drilling/cuting is having the back blow out because if weakened integrity with the wieght of water. Still overkill? -also I could use colored plexi or even paint it for that matter for a solid background.

Next steps:

-get a quote to have it done!

-attempt it a few more times on test sheets.

I'll post my progress and probably a few pictures in a day or two.

Thanks again
Old 09-27-2003, 11:28 PM   #14

Quote:
The plexi I spoke of was to be on the back outside of the tank to cover the entire back with matching holes simply to "thicken the back wall to ensure strength as my biggest fear after actual drilling/cuting is having the back blow out because if weakened integrity with the wieght of water. Still overkill?
Well, who knows, if it will make you feel better, ok, however, many tanks are drilled like that and also having the bottoms drilled. The Bottom holds a lot more weight than the overflows will ever produce on the sides as well as water weight.. Just seemed like another leak point to me in the future silicone and plexi do not mix well...... IMO...
Old 09-27-2003, 11:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
hmm...$15 dollars for each hole...$1200+ for a new tank if it cracks. It seems like a no brainer to me. I have never drilled a tank, but I did work with stained glass some years ago, and the tool you are talking about sounds like a glass scorer...not a glass cutter. What is does is score, or cut a groove, in the glass, and by tapping the glass after you score it you are making a controlled break along the score. Considering that about 10% of the time I tapped the glass, the whole piece broke, I would never recommend using it on such an expensive tank. IMO, if you spent the money on the tank, you should spend the money on a professional to cut your holes. I really don't mean to sound harsh, I just would really hate for your next post to be about how the tank cracked.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:44 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Drilling the glass will not affect it's integrity unless it's tempered glass. If it's tempered, forget drilling it...can't be done. Aquatic Ecosystems has the bits, dams, and abrasive for reasonable prices. I believe their website is www.aquaticeco.com . Their phone # is 1-877-347-4788.
I would not attempt to score the glass and pop it out...I just don't think that is going to work out well. JMHO. BTW, you'll need a drill press to drill it should you decide to go that route...a hand drill won't do it.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:28 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

SO!!!! What did you decide?? Did you have it drilled? Try it yourself? Or use a hunging ovrflow??? We've got to know.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:19 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
i drilled my 10 gallon myself. which is in no way a comparison to what you are about to attempt but i thought it was pretty easy. i used the diamond tipped bit and dam that logan spoke about. my lfs had bits for people to rent. my holes were two 1 1/8" holes for overflows and it works out well. the only thing is to drill through 1/4" sheet of glass it took about 20 minutes. you have to remember to place equal pressure on the bit at all times. actually towards the end of the process you should decrease the pressure because the glass gets thinner and thinner. and i can pretty much garuntee that you will not have a clean hole. there are always little pieces the break at the end no matter how hard you try. IMHO i would not even attempt to score and break the holes becuase after drilling one i can honestly say when you hit that circle i think the only thing it is gonna do is crack the entire side of the tank.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
My tank in currently sitting in a local glass shop. I decided on 1'" drains so had to go with a 1 3/4" hole for the bulkhead room. After looking into it and testing my little cutter on a 1/4" piece of scrap that professional is the only way to go for. It is costing me $20 a hole, but well worth the piece of mind. I will post pictures as soon as I can get it back. It has taken longer than I expected, but I am patient.

Thanks for checking up!
R-
Old 10-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
good choice man. can't wait to see pics.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com