in desperate need of good DIY sump plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peter101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i plan to build a sump for my 90 gal FOWLR tank. i plan on buying a red sea berlin, either turbo classic, or classic in sump skimmer.
the space i have to work with is about give ro take 1/2 and inch 22" x 19" x 18". so i am relatively limited for space but can fit a 20 X high.

are there any plans that someone has that they were in a simular situation as me, or oculd someone give me an idea of were to start? im a complete newb when it comes to DIY's with all exept for stands. any help is greatfully appriciated
thanx a lot,
peter

p.s. - should i buy my 90 gallon predrilled w/ built in over flow for 100 bucks more (canadian) about 75 bucks U.S.? is it worth it or is it better to buy an s-type overflow like a CPR?

Well considering it cost me $60 bucks to have my tank drilled for an over flow, and i prefer tanks without anything hanging on the back or sides. $75 seems well worth it. I suggest going to the DIY forum here and follow the GARF instruction on building your own tank to those specifications. Then you can add acrylic baffles and deviders as you need them. I am in the process of doing that now.

R-

You can also go to my site and check out the glass sumps there. I'm not trying to sell you one, but the pics should give you a good idea what you'll need to do for a basic sump. Here's the link:
http://www.captiveraisedcorals.com/filtration.htm
If you'll click on the pics, you'll get a larger view. HTH.
I would also go with the drilled tank. HOB overflows always have a potential for disaster. With a drilled tank, you'll have internal overflows which are much less likely to cause a spill.

thanx all - i will go with the 90 gal pre-drilled for 309.99 CAN (about 238 US)

reefnewb: how is the custom sump comming along? how did you go about getting a supplier? did you make it from glass or acrilic?
after you built/have built your tank, what plans do you have for dividers and what not? could you possibly do a quick illustration, or post some pics just so i can see what other plastic sheets i'll need, and what other components?
thanx a lot,
peter

Back
Top Bottom