Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Sliced Bread

I don't think you'll have any sag with only a 90g tank. If you're worried about it tho, use 2x6s for the upper lip. You're not going to sag a 6" thick piece of wood for sure.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it is held together by screws however the 2x4's go all the way to the floor and to the top support beams, the weight is truly resting on the wood not the fasteners. My stand is capable of close to 3500 pounds. I wanted storage space underneeth but the cross supports at top and bottom kinda made that impossible. I had to relocate my sump,canister,co2 ect to the room behind the tank behind the wall.
That first pic is bottoms up, thats the bottom of the stand to show how the legs actually go all the way to the concrete floor.

I could have glued it all together but felt screws were easier to remove if needed. My verticle 2x4 supports are what carries all the weight of this tank.
id say close to 2600 pounds.

I suck at drawing on here and dont have my CAD programs on this computer but I think you could make sort of a shelf stand for this. using 45 degree cuts to attach the shelf to the wall then using maybe 4 4x4's at each corner, this would technically free the entire bottom up. Im trying to remember about 15 years back when we did the 90 in wall marine tank.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I see what you mean, I guess on mine I just made the top frame transfer the weight to the legs then to the bottom frame so it distributed the weight more evenly to the floor. If one of your legs were a bit too short then the top frame (which is screwed in) would be taking the weight.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes very true, each leg was individually measured and cut, some are 24" dead nuts some are 24 1/4, 24 1/8 ect.

I should have built it in place due to my floor being very uneven(basement finished, contractor didnt level squat like he was paid to do) but every upright supports total weight from tank to the floor. I had to use full tiles and basically build up the floor level then put the stand on, level, then the tank, level ect.
It took me two full days to do this stand and get it perfect. the room it is in has a ton of electronics and high dollar value computer equipment in it. Whatever it took to make sure they stay dry went into the stand.

I did have to move some cross supports to be able to access the overflows completely, I am not sure what filter you plan to run I run a wet/dry.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Neilan's link is the way corners are suppost to be built to support and stop wobbles. Can't wait to see pictures of your project. It sounds like you'll be building a wall around your tank so extra support can be applied on each side, kinda like framing in a door or window.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hey Ray!! I used the same setup when building my reworked and granite topped stand for the 120 I built. Neilan's link is the way to go and using a 2x6 is an excellent idea to avoid having a center brace leaving you open in the middle.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Great stuff guys, thanks. So Ziggy, I'll buy lunch when you and Neilan come down this weekend.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

OK, since the stand is PART of the framed wall construction, I can see the stabilty the contractor built into it. It's got side support. Check the pics. I had to put the fuge and FW reservoir in place to better visualize. Also stuck a little grey pipe where the skimmer would likely be placed - based on the hole already cut into the fuge from my 155g.

The view with the 37g reservoir is from the door way entrance to this room. Also added the wide angle shot from the area outside. The boards on the wall is where the TV wall mount is going to give a sense of better perspective of my area.

Wondering if my Aqua C 180 from my 155g is too large for this 90g.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front w skimmer.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	24047   Click image for larger version

Name:	side w reservoir.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	24049  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV view.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24050   Click image for larger version

Name:	90g tank 009.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24051  

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 06-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it were me (or if my Dad were there helping me) I would double up on the studs next to the opening. Windows, doors, pass throughs, etc...where ever there is a break in the wall, needs framed out. Also a header should be added, I'm assuming you don't have one yet just because you're deciding at what height to put it.

Other than that, it's gonna be a great fish wall
Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I thought a flip up panel above made of drywall, hinges and a handle. The wife took one look at it and decided there should be cabinet doors above it. She's good. Guess there'd be the middle support piece where the doors meet. That'll allow me to feed and work in the tank and see what I'm doing.

Tags
construction, stand, tan, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com