Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

in wall tank..

well since redoing the whole house, the tank that was in the wall in living room is being relocated. it was too hard to maintain equipment in the tight space and one flooded living room and then leak in plumbing, decided enough was enough. after much running around with tape measure, we decided, bedroom it was.
it is going to cut the corner between bedroom and dressing room. tank is ideal since it has angled corners, not square. all plumbing and filtration is to be in the basement, hopefully only thing in the tank will be 2 pipes, one for out and one for in, rest be downstairs, with easy access, eliminate most noise in bedroom and clean up tank.
i finally made the plunge and cut the stud to make way for it.. being a load bearing wall, this took some nerves and plenty of coffee before ifinally cut (dont worry all those structural engineers reading, i have added a new stud to replace one i cut, just moved it over a bit.)

pics so far.... now plumbing into basement, will post more as progress is made. fish like new place, dont have a cat in their face every morning now (she hasnt found them yet, sure she will) not sure if to use 10 gallon baffle filter or turn the spare 55gal into a filter/refugium. undecided as of yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	22312   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	22313  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	22314  

Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking good. Keep us updated. Is it gonna be SW or FW?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should really add a header over the top of the opening. It'll help with the relocated studs.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

it is a sw tank, FOWLR already established, everything was relocated to a spare 55g during the move, and then 1/2 water was pumped back into this tank and everything put back again. everything survived and seems to be ok.

in reality, the stud was only actually moved about 4 inches but i am adding a header behind the drywall, cant see it easily in pics.. the ones you can see cut, second pic, arnt load bearing, just framing for drywall. new stud is the one in the corner. ill box it in and make some kind of feature out of it. hides the wires for the wall switch that will turn light on.
oh anyone know if can get HO strip lights? i searched lowes etc, they sell bulbs but not fixtures... i dont need a fancy hood light or anything, basic shop light will work as you cant see it. just cant find one that is HO.

off to lowes for yet more plumbing..
Old 01-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya, looks cool. I want to tag along for this 1.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Sonomakid
this is a neat diy, excellent work!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

well think i have it plumbed. i made my own syphon tube, looking at a few designs online.. the 3/4 isnt going to keep up with my pump, so i have used 1". initial tests showed it could keep up, unfortunately, i set it too high and would raise the waterlevel in tank too high, so i have modified it lower. yet to test this, but this way, i can adjust the height using chocks under the pipe, thus adjust the tank water level if need be.
cut slots in the pick up tube, so takes water from different levels in the tank.. in the end, i glued in a bio ball, so i dont suck up a fishie. all i had as a screen at time, seems to work well though..
for now i got a check valve in the air tube, to keep the syphon, but when i replace my protein skimmer and get rid of this rubbish visi-jet, ill use the powerhead and hook the air straight to that. that way any air that does build up will be sucked straight back out again, hopefully reducing the risk of the syphon failing...dont see how air could really get up in there, but never know..o

ill get some pics of the rest, once i got it working perfect...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	22323  
Old 01-30-2010, 03:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

lil bit well placed coral, hides the return pipe mostly, but allows flow behind it. no leaks.. let it run for the weekend, to be sure, then time to start drywalling.. ugh i hate drywall.
the HOB bio wheel filter only temp, it was a standin while the new one got going although it actually done very well...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	22327   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	22328  

Name:	photo 7.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	22329   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 8.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	22330  

Old 01-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice, keep it up.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice, I remember putting my 90g salt in the wall. that was a weekend project, end results were phenominal, sorry this was way pre digi cam and doubt I have any pics left to scan.

We built a 4x4 stand for the tank itself behind the wall and wrapped it with the cement board, at top we did have to put in a new header and this worked quite well with a 4x4 and a 2 1/4 ton floor jack able to get it up in there and wedge it , then just used the same trim as the rest of the house painted to match, had a 40B basement sump.

I am trying to talk to wife into putting a 90+ gallon in the wall between the gathering room and my new fish room.

Tags
tan, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com